Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

2005 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Preview

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 05:14 PM
Site Founder

Doing the "right thing" and opting for a hybrid vehicle (HEV) doesn't have to mean giving up practicality, even if you need the use of a truck. At least this will be true once
General Motors will be the worlds' first to market with a full-size hybrid pickup truck. (Photo: General Motors of Canada)
the summer is over and the annual barrage of new vehicles start to go on sale across the nation.

At this time Honda and Toyota won't only be joined by Ford in the race for hybrid gasoline-electric buyers this fall, with the introduction of its long anticipated Escape Hybrid, but General Motors will be the worlds' first to market with a full-size HEV pickup truck.

View entire article here.

Old 06-25-2004, 07:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jason,
Interestingly...reading the full article the vehicle description would suggest that GM put research into HEVs and actually has its own system (not borrowed from Toyota as Ford's)
Cheers,
Steven

Old 06-28-2004, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast

I wonder if they licensed Honda's technology . . . I had read previously that GM was not really researching hybrid technology, opting instead to research fuel cell technology. In any case, kudos to GM.

I wonder how efficient their regenerative braking is as compared to Toyota.

Regarding the power outlets, if I am understanding this correctly, the IC engine runs to power the batter while AC current is being drawn? Is that how others are reading this?

Interesting.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:48 AM

Andy,
I read a different article recently...it is not a true hybrid by any sense of the word. The GM trucks are simply outfitted with a 48V system and it allows them to autostop. The EPA estimates are 17mpg instead of 15mpg...city is the only changed.
Cheers,
Steven

Old 06-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Site Founder

Yeah. Well, get used to it. That's the same as Honda vehicles. They aren't true hybrids. Toyota, I think, is the only manufacturer capable of the technology. It's a little-known fact, though, and I'm sure the impact of hybrids will not be as significant because carmakers are settling for mild hybrids instead.

Old 06-28-2004, 11:33 AM

Jason,
I would tend to argue the point that Honda has produced true hybrids in relation to the GM system, but not in relation to the Toyota system. If we call the GM system "mild hybrids" what are we to call cars with IMA.."medium well hybrids"?!? Honda's system allows for the motor to help the engine bring the car up to speed, unlike the GM system wich simply allows the engine to stop when not needed. One interesting fact brought up on InsightCentral the other day is that IMA vehicles can actually travel under battery power alone. This occurs when the engine dies and the IMA is continually trying to re-start it producing a false stealth mode at about 7mph...probably not good for the car. Just an insight,
Cheers,
Steven

Old 06-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Site Founder

Haha, so your argument is that if the engine dies, the car turns into an electric vehicle. Sorry, that doesn't cut it for me

There are true hybrids like the Toyota HSD/THS's, and there are mild hybrids like the Honda or GM vehicles. Yes, it's true that Honda is more advanced than GM. But I believe I did read that the true definiton of a hybrid electric vehicle is that the battery/motor must be able to power the car alone or alongside the engine. It's possible that I'm mistaken and it only has to assist, in which case Honda makes true hybrid vehicles.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:28 PM

Main Entry: hy·brid
Pronunciation: 'hI-br&d
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin hybrida
1 : an offspring of two animals or plants of different races, breeds, varieties, species, or genera
2 : a person whose background is a blend of two diverse cultures or traditions
3 a : something heterogeneous in origin or composition : COMPOSITE <artificial hybrids of DNA and RNA> <a hybrid of medieval and Renaissance styles> b : something (as a power plant, vehicle, or electronic circuit) that has two different types of components performing essentially the same function
Jason,
Not to get in a flame war, BUT i would argue that under the deffinition of a hybrid by Meriam-Webster dictionary that the IMA and I.C.E. components of Honda's system perform essentially the same function (if the arguement is no...then the differences pointed out would also make the HSD and THS non-hybrids...hmmm, that could be an odd writeup )
Cheers,
Steven

Oh, the engine dying this was soley for humor hope you got it

Old 06-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Enthusiast

I think it's a moot point.

b : something (as a power plant, vehicle, or electronic circuit) that has two different types of components performing essentially the same function
the ima essentially has two different types of powerplants turning the transmission, they are just integrated to make it simple. By using the electric motor in place of a flywheel, honda simplified a complicated drivetrain issue.
toyota took a different method.

Both do the same thing, toyota just used more parts to do it.

I know the honda won't run on electricity alone, but by the same token you can't drive on the highway at the speed limit with the toyota electric motor. Both motors are made to assist.

The toyota on electric will only make it a few miles, right? thats not really saying much.

The idea is to integrate technology to create a solution. and toyota and honda have both done a great job.

I think the full size and suv market is missing the point. There is very little advantage in gaining 16% increase in mpg when you get 15mpg to begin with.

Old 07-02-2004, 12:56 PM
CLA
Enthusiast

Ah, mild hybrids. Is anyone here old enough to remember the Ford vs. Chevy rivalry? If so, maybe the website store should sell t shirts with captions like "IMA, Breakfast of Champions!"
As I wrote before, I read about the promise of hybrids for years, before they were on the market, back when they were called Hypercars. I was happy to buy one.
I was surprised by the rivalries, mild vs. full, Honda vs. Toyota, electric vs. hybrid, diesel vs. hybrid.
Anyone old enough to remember Freud? People with much in common still fight each other, the "narcissism of small differences." :lol:

Quick Reply: 2005 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Preview

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands