Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda dropping Accord Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Site Founder
Default Honda dropping Accord Hybrid

The new Honda Accord, which will go on sale in September, will not be available in a gasoline-electric hybrid version, according to a company spokesman."We have found that our hybrid system works better on smaller cars," said Chris Naughton, a Honda spokesman.
Honda previously announced that it will introduce a new hybrid car in 2009. That car will be smaller in size and less expensive than the Honda Civic Hybrid. The Accord, a midsized car, is larger and more expensive than the Civic.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/AUTOS/06/05/...rid/index.html

Old 06-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Brains of the Operation
Default Re: Honda dropping Accord Hybrid

"We have found that our hybrid system works better on smaller cars,"
Or maybe try it on a 4-cylinder Accord instead of just giving up on it... the hybrid system just works better on smaller engines.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

one optoin less for mexico,

as clean diesel seems not be available here soon

Old 06-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Civic Duty
Or maybe try it on a 4-cylinder Accord instead of just giving up on it... the hybrid system just works better on smaller engines.
So backed.

It's probably not just the engine size, though. I WOULD LOVE TO FIND SOMEONE WHO'D PUT THE ACCORD HYBRID SYSTEM IN AN ACCORD COUPE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION. In fact, I wonder if with the news of the Accord no longer being made I could get MTV's pimp my ride to take an interest in the project. In fact, I've thought about doing it myself (no the labor part, but paying for someone to do it) but when you start talking about the price of two Accords and the labor and that complicated an engine swap nightmare, and you kind of just have to buy a Tesla Roadster instead...

That's the Accord they should've been offering all along. The mileage database here confirms that CVTs aren't better than MTs despite what every auto manufacturer keeps telling us.

Honda tried to pull a Lexus with the hybrid Accord. As I've said elsewhere, it can work for Lexus 'cause people of that mentality would rather have a GS 450h than a GS 400 or a RX 400h than an RX 350. Bigger number, more prestige.

But it didn't work well for the Accord.

Last edited by stevejust; 06-06-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Enthusiast

I purchased a 2006 Civic Hybrid, but wanted an Accord Hybrid. The reason I didn't choose the existing Accord Hybrid was due to the 6 cyl., I wanted better fuel economy, not more power. I still want an Accord and hope that Honda gets wise and rethinks this decision, or else I just may have to look at the Camry (not a real Toyota fan here). I love my Civic Hybrid, but need a little more room and easier access for my family (Kids, etc.), but don't want to buy another fuel chugging SUV, have parked our 2005 Suv for now. Come on Honda, pair the Accord with the 4 Cyl EX and the Hybrid system.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:46 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Good article on why the HAH died - no sales

According to this article, the fact that no one was buying them is why the HAH was killed off. See the link below for the story:

Why Honda Accord Hybrid ran out of gas

Honda's decision to park the gas-electric version of its Accord sedan amid soaring hybrid car sales has some scratching their heads, but those who build and sell the vehicle said it boils down to numbers: It wasn't selling.

"I actually can't remember the last time we sold one," said Katina Rapton, general manager of Mel Rapton Honda in Sacramento. A quick check of records by Rapton confirmed that the dealership sold no Honda Accord Hybrids in either April or May.

Honda officials in Japan announced June 4 that the company will discontinue the hybrid Accord at the end of the current model year. The automaker sold roughly 25,000 of the cars, offered only in North America, since the model went on the market in 2004. Slightly more than 6,000 were sold last year.
Compare those sales number to the similar sized Camry Hybrid and the decision becomes obvious.

Last edited by TKCamry; 06-13-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:06 AM
Enthusiast

It probably does not help that the honda system is inferior to the Toyota system. Clearly, Toyota thinks that it's system works with cars that are not "small" as proof with the sales of Camry Hybrids.

Honda made a mistake not putting a 5sp with the honda accord hybrid.
Honda made a mistake not putting a 4cyl with the hybrid.

Killing the Accord hybrid is cheaper than doing either of the above.

So much for a Element or CRV hybrid. Perhaps they will go hybrid/diesel after 2009.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:09 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

nope... just plain diesel accord. far superior to any hybrid tech out there.