Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

The Pickens Plan and Proposition 10

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Site Founder
Default The Pickens Plan and Proposition 10

T. Boone Pickens, the former oil magnate and more recently the man with The Plan, appeared on CNN this morning to discuss the looming “financial meltdown,” as Sheryl Gay Stolberg put it Thursday.

Funds managed by Mr. Pickens reportedly lost $1 billion over the last year — $270 million of which leached from his own personal fortune. “It’s my toughest run in 10 years,” Mr. Pickens was quoted as saying in The Wall Street Journal. “We missed the turn in the market, there’s nothing fun about it.”
http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/20...osition-10/?hp

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The Pickens Plan and Proposition 10

Nothing here about Prop. 10. However, is this a cry for sympathy for Pickens?

Old 10-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

Maybe we can all take up a collection for him. How much do you suppose he's spent on all those ads?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mikesan
Maybe we can all take up a collection for him. How much do you suppose he's spent on all those ads?
Operating on the assumption if he's doing something like this, he wont be creating mischief, for example: Swift Boating Obama.

As I've already voted, it's up to you guys to shoot this one down in flames.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm torn over Pickens. I like his plan and know that he's in it to make money but the plan still is good for the country. The other side is I voted for Kerry and feel justified that the last four years would have been better with him. Therefore I despise Pickens for those Swift Boat ads, yet I still want to support him in this.

The article did talk about Prop. 10 though, interesting read. And no, I'm not for donating a dime to Pickens though, considering where he spent his money four years ago.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Veracitorian Muser

The problem I see with Picken's plan is ignoring base load/dynamic load differences in electric power needs. He wants to convert all gas fired electric generators to wind, in order to free the natural gas for transportation, in order to reduce transportation oil needs. Unfortunately, gas generators are used mostly for peak electric needs as this is the only dependable source of electrical generation besides hydro that can be quickly turned on and off as demand varies throughout each day.

-- Alan

Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
The problem I see with Picken's plan is ignoring base load/dynamic load differences in electric power needs. He wants to convert all gas fired electric generators to wind, in order to free the natural gas for transportation, in order to reduce transportation oil needs. Unfortunately, gas generators are used mostly for peak electric needs as this is the only dependable source of electrical generation besides hydro that can be quickly turned on and off as demand varies throughout each day.

-- Alan
FOR what it's worth, the LA Times calls for a NO vote on 10 stating its purpose is to enrich T.Bones.

I guess the question you have to answer, "Is this for the greater good?" If your answer is Yes, than the fact that TBP is a rich jerk isn't going to make any difference.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Energy Independence

Natural gas is a diversion we don't need on our way towards a real sustainable solution - electric vehicles. IF we build this massive infrastructure for refueling a country's natural gas vehicles, we'll never get to the next logical evolution - electric vehicles. I say "No" and wait (just) a few years for the electric revolution. It's coming.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 PM
Enthusiast

While I like what he has to say about natural gas I wonder how much of our natural gas comes from the middle east on the 400+ LNG tankers running back and forth between here and there. I know the pipeline capacity from the Cove Point, Maryland LNG terminal to the main distrubution grid is being doubled in capacity by the addition of 2 additional 36" pipelines. Are we under reporting our reliance on middle eastern natural gas?

I asked my local gas company if they sold in home filling stations for natural gas cars. Nope, and only one station in South Carolina. I guess I have to stick to gasoline.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by kpick4
While I like what he has to say about natural gas I wonder how much of our natural gas comes from the middle east on the 400+ LNG tankers running back and forth between here and there. I know the pipeline capacity from the Cove Point, Maryland LNG terminal to the main distribution grid is being doubled in capacity by the addition of 2 additional 36" pipelines. Are we under reporting our reliance on middle eastern natural gas?

I asked my local gas company if they sold in home filling stations for natural gas cars. Nope, and only one station in South Carolina. I guess I have to stick to gasoline.
I think what you'll see, if the LNG thing takes off is the utilization of the existing infrastructure of oil co. gas stations. Which means the EXXONs of the world will have to be getting a piece of the action, or perhaps even owning that action.

Although T. Bone might just have the bread to develop that infrastructure.