Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Survey: Hybrid drivers save $900 per year

Old 05-05-2005, 09:36 AM
Site Founder
Default Survey: Hybrid drivers save $900 per year

Surveys of owners of hybrid-powered automobiles show that, on the average, each is saving about 408 gallons of fuel a year _ or, based on recent gasoline prices, about $900 annually. That's according to surveys of almost 1,000 people by Carnegie Mellon University engineering, science and public-policy students.

The surveys also showed that owners of about 200 diesel-powered cars are saving 388 gallons of fuel each year even though they drove 22 percent more miles than they had in the past.
http://www.rocklintoday.com/news/tem...=1998&zoneid=1

Interesting. My father commented a few days ago that he believes driving will increase with fuel economy and there will be virtually no change in gas demand.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Survey: Hybrid drivers save $900 per year

Originally Posted by Jason
http://www.rocklintoday.com/news/tem...=1998&zoneid=1

Interesting. My father commented a few days ago that he believes driving will increase with fuel economy and there will be virtually no change in gas demand.
I believe this makes sense, but in the end it's still an improvment. More driving likely means more trips are possible for someone on the same budget, when before they might have gone without. Also, with increased FE comes increased range, which is very convenient. I love being able to go nearly 750 miles on a single fill-up.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

From MSN, here is a more typical piece of BS
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/...ar/P113609.asp

-- Compare worse available reports of Prius MPG, to favorite small car EPA
-- Plug diesels

----

Do they deliver on mileage?
Then there's the issue of whether these cars actually get the mileage they claim. This is actually a pretty big deal with the vehicles that are the most fuel-efficient: the Prius and the Insight. Owners have been yowling for years that their mileage isn't anything like the EPA's numbers.

"I drove a Prius for a week and never saw 60 mpg," Perry said. "I averaged around 42 mpg."

Now, that kind of mileage should make any Hummer driver blush. But it's not that much better than a fuel-efficient small sedan, like a Honda Civic. (The EPA clocks the Civic with Honda's "Lean Burn" engine technology at 36 mpg city, 44 mpg highway.)

So while hybrids might not be a scam, they are pretty expensive for what you're getting.

Last edited by EricGo; 05-05-2005 at 04:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Enthusiast

I went for an 94 Jeep Cherokee (Ya I know evil SUV) getting at the most 16 mpg to my Civic getting 45 mpg, that’s about $1900 (at current gas prices around here) a year for me. That about how much more I spent to get the used Hybrid over a comparable "normal" used Civic.