Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Camry Hybrid MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrid MPG

My uncle have regular 2007 Toyota Camry v6 average 32.3 mpg for 738.6 miles driven... warm weather driving. no ac/heater. 95 % highway, cruise.. the car have 176,000 miles.

so I am sure THC can do better.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Under ideal conditions like you have described, the TCH is capable of returning between 45 and 47 mpg with a tank range of well over 700 miles before you need to refuel.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

I got 42.8 MPG with a cold start driving it from the Toyota Dealership to Hybridfest on a route that was 80% expressway.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid and it won't start. The dash lights don't go on, so I assume it's the battery. Do you jump start from the battery in the trunk? I read the manual. But this is a new car and the service dept that came was going to start if from the front??

Any adivce??

Thank you,

Barbara

Old 03-21-2011, 11:13 PM
Pragmatist

The owners manual says not to jump the little 12V battery. Toyota apparently wants you to call a flat bed to take it to the Toyota dealer.

If you google "AGM battery charge rate", and read some of the results, you will understand the issue better. The top page that comes up for me is, http://bitwrangler.com/wt/lv-ab-agm.html

One of the battery manufactures of AGM batteries has a page, http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...t/charging.php
that gives "recommended charging information." It says to use a voltage-regulated charger, with maximum 15.0 volts. (Some battery-chargers have an "AGM" setting that, apparently, does this.)

The problem is the voltage, not the amps. AGM batteries can accept charging at very high amp rates, but can be damaged by bulk charging with too much voltage. When you "jump" a 12V car, the battery gets charge at whatever voltage the other car produces. Some cars use as much as 16 volts, which is too much for AGM batteries. So, you need a "voltage regulated" charger.

If you need to jump, it appears, you should do it with the motor of the other car turned off, or the battery disconnected from the other car, or check the voltage first. The Camry Hybrid need just a little tiny bit of power to turn itself on. It uses the big high-voltage battery to spin the motors, not the little 12V battery. To turn on, it only needs enough power from the 12V battery to operate a relay, so that shouldn't drain the other car so much that it cannot start.

If the big high-voltage battery goes dead -- then it really is time to put it on a flatbed and take it to the dealer...

Last edited by SteveHansen; 03-21-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 AM

Dear Steve,

I read in the manual on pg 385 that you can jump start the 12v battery if it becomes discharged. This is in the 2009 manual under steps to take in an emergency.

The dealer here told me I had to bring the car there and to call the road service. I don't know what else to do, it is completely dead. I left the trunk open last night because I was afraid if the 12V kept depleting I wouldn't be able to open it.

So of coarse, now it's totall dead. Can't we jump start keeping it the other charger low. I should check that's it doesn't go over 15V, correct>???

Thank you

Old 03-22-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
The owners manual says not to jump the little 12V battery. Toyota apparently wants you to call a flat bed to take it to the Toyota dealer.

If you google "AGM battery charge rate", and read some of the results, you will understand the issue better. The top page that comes up for me is, http://bitwrangler.com/wt/lv-ab-agm.html

One of the battery manufactures of AGM batteries has a page, http://www.optimabatteries.com/produ...t/charging.php
that gives "recommended charging information." It says to use a voltage-regulated charger, with maximum 15.0 volts. (Some battery-chargers have an "AGM" setting that, apparently, does this.)

The problem is the voltage, not the amps. AGM batteries can accept charging at very high amp rates, but can be damaged by bulk charging with too much voltage. When you "jump" a 12V car, the battery gets charge at whatever voltage the other car produces. Some cars use as much as 16 volts, which is too much for AGM batteries. So, you need a "voltage regulated" charger.

If you need to jump, it appears, you should do it with the motor of the other car turned off, or the battery disconnected from the other car, or check the voltage first. The Camry Hybrid need just a little tiny bit of power to turn itself on. It uses the big high-voltage battery to spin the motors, not the little 12V battery. To turn on, it only needs enough power from the 12V battery to operate a relay, so that shouldn't drain the other car so much that it cannot start.

If the big high-voltage battery goes dead -- then it really is time to put it on a flatbed and take it to the dealer...

Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by Barbara Billin Dimitriou
I should check that's it doesn't go over 15V, correct>???
That is my understanding. Too much voltage during charging is what damages these batteries.

There are some automatic chargers that have an AGM mode, that does the voltage limit automatically. Among them, the Schumacher XC6 and XC10 chargers, have an AGM button.

Last edited by SteveHansen; 03-22-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:39 PM

Thank you,

They jump started it with a 12V and it took 5 sec. Everything went on, everything normal. I drove to Toyota service to have them slow charge the battery. Now, they guy says maybe it has been depleted and the same thing will happen, so we should buy a new battery. Is this really necessary?
They would have to import it from the US and the cost is 700E, because the guarantee does not cover Europe.

Any adivce? It is a standard 12V? If we need to replace it, there must be a cheaper way. They have the Prius here and Lexus Hybrid.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 AM
Pragmatist

If it was my car, and the battery was 3 years or older, I would probably replace it. Yes, these are special batteries. There are other threads on this forum that specifically discuss batteries.

Quick Reply: Camry Hybrid MPG

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands