Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

HCH 2006 MPG, Smog not ready, and more!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH 2006 MPG, Smog not ready, and more!

The dealership service department is always a busy one so I assumed they would service paying customer vehicles as priority with mine on a "eh we have some time now" basis, somewhat because they had to order the whole IMA module and core - with local temperatures during the day too high I know they waited until nighttime and after everything else completed to do the full drive cycle so that the catalyst monitor and the rest are now ready, so I can go get the car its smog test Monday morning (finally!).

But. Can you explain the grid charging and discharging thing? For future reference.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH 2006 MPG, Smog not ready, and more!

Low current, high voltage charger powered by the electrical grid, hence, "grid charger" that "trickle" charges the IMA battery top balancing the 132 cells in the pack.

Discharging is typically a setup of 2X 100W light bulbs in series attached to the pack to discharge it to <1V. This eliminates voltage depression (analogous to "memory") and bottom balances the cells.

132 cells operating together get out of balance and grid charging/discharging helps restore this balance.