Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Neutral help or hurt MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast
Question Neutral help or hurt MPG

Reading tips for driving hybrids for efficiency I ran across two suggestions that make no sense to me.

If you see you are going to have to stop - or at least slow down significantly: I read to let the car coast in neutral (seems like the article was saying to increase battery LIFE). Seems like you should let off the gas and brake gently to generate electricity.

You have to stop at a light or intersection and know you are not going to be able to go for at least 30 seconds. I read you should not put the tranny in neutral. Seems like you should, whether the gas engine is running or not.

Any thoughts on whether I am thinking straight on this or not?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Neutral help or hurt MPG

You're right. Don't try to outsmart a hybrid vehicle.