Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Nitrogen in Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 10:43 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Nitrogen in Tires

Has anyone used nitrogen in your tires and documented the impact on mileage?

Old 08-03-2006, 03:45 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: Nitrogen in Tires

Try a search, this has been discussed in depth several times....

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...light=nitrogen

Old 08-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

About 25 yrs ago, a craze going on was to place helium inside of newly mounted tires.

Helium, like Nitrogen is an inert gas which was suggested to stop or prevent tire rot. It was at the time when tires were starting to have long tread life but the insides of the tire were rotting away and blowing out.

Personally, I just make sure I have winter air and summer air in my tires during the appropriate season. To further refine this, I may also add Spring and Fall air as well. So far, I have been having good luck using this method.

Tony

Old 08-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast

A quote from the link helpfully provided by the prior poster.

"His gas mileage was about 19 mpg when he purchased his five-cylinder 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. Now, with the engine broken in and new tires filled with nitrogen, he gets 20.5 to 22 mpg depending on whether he runs the air conditioner, he said."

So, did the increase in mileage result from the engine break-in or the nitrogen? (You can give only one answer and it better not be nitrogen!)

And the guy being quoted is an engineer? Sheesh!

The nitrogen might reduce the rot (a bit).

The only clear, measurable benefit of using nitrogen is to the person selling it!

Old 08-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TonyK
About 25 yrs ago, a craze going on was to place helium inside of newly mounted tires.

Helium, like Nitrogen is an inert gas which was suggested to stop or prevent tire rot. It was at the time when tires were starting to have long tread life but the insides of the tire were rotting away and blowing out.

Personally, I just make sure I have winter air and summer air in my tires during the appropriate season. To further refine this, I may also add Spring and Fall air as well. So far, I have been having good luck using this method.

Tony
Yeah it makes your car lighter so you can get better MPG right. Makes since to me.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Banned

May I suggest the driver have a whoopie pad interfaced to the gas line enhance fuel economy with a little bio-gas?

Old 08-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by njkayaker
A quote from the link helpfully provided by the prior poster.

"His gas mileage was about 19 mpg when he purchased his five-cylinder 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. Now, with the engine broken in and new tires filled with nitrogen, he gets 20.5 to 22 mpg depending on whether he runs the air conditioner, he said."

So, did the increase in mileage result from the engine break-in or the nitrogen? (You can give only one answer and it better not be nitrogen!)

And the guy being quoted is an engineer? Sheesh!

The nitrogen might reduce the rot (a bit).

The only clear, measurable benefit of using nitrogen is to the person selling it!

I could see it being beneficial to people who don't pay attention to their tire pressure. Might have saved some people their lives when the Firestone and Ford Explorer issues were happening. Alot of those tires were found to have been underinflated.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birchman2
I could see it being beneficial to people who don't pay attention to their tire pressure. Might have saved some people their lives when the Firestone and Ford Explorer issues were happening. Alot of those tires were found to have been underinflated.
Probably not. One would have to have some data to suggest that it has a real impact on retaining tire pressure. It's not like the nitrogen eliminates pressure loss. It's a bogus way to get money from people.

Old 08-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

from another nitrogen tire thread

Originally Posted by Tireman9
Sorry but your service Tech is dead wrong. The only thing you will get with N2 inflation is a slower leakdown of inflation and minor reduction in pressure variation due to temperature changes. YOU MUST STILL check your inflation at least once a month.

The entire myth that inflating tires with N2 will deliver improved mileage is based on the assumption that you do not check and adjust the inflation in your tires as you have been told to. The car doesn't know what gas is used to inflate your tires. All it knows is the rolling resistance which is a direct function of the properties of the individual tire and the deflection of that tire (within normal operating speeds). The deflection is a finction of the load and inflation. Inflating with 32 psi of N2 will give same result as inflating with 32 psi of air or 32 psi of CO2 etc.

Tire Design engineer w/37 years experience.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Here's one more thread where the topic was discussed in great detail.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=7654

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in Tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands