Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

The physics of pulse and glide

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The physics of pulse and glide

Hi EricGo:

___The FE was outrageous but something was holding back the Glides vs. a pure coast in other automobiles. There were slopes on the course where the Accord would actually accelerate in Neutral (ICE-Off) and the Prius was barely holding a steady speed. In some cases, her speed was actually falling! There was a nice ¾ + mile down slope heading towards the hotel we were staying at right on the course and I’ll be ****ed if I could never just coast her in with a full blown Glide. A pulse was always needed somewhere along that lengthy slight decline … In the Accord, I was on the brakes to make the turn into the hotel on that same lengthy down slope. Dan’s Prius II was setup perfectly so there was nothing in the way of tire/wheel/aero or any other kind of drag other then something in the HSD holding her back ever so slightly … There was also an unexplainable few .1 of a volt drop in pack voltage after a lengthy glide that could not be accounted for by the displays alone. 200W over ~ 2 minutes shouldn’t drag the Prius II’s pack down .1 V but it was pulled down a bit more then that in the Glide phase IIRC? I would not have a clue as to what it was other then possibly the MGSet’s were using quite a bit of current to remain in synch as a WAG???

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Conservative Republican

Can you solve Barlow's Quandary?
Go to https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...2033#post32033

Old 11-03-2005, 11:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi RJBarlow:

___Done …