Fuel Economy & Emissions Talk about the mileage database, EPA, hypermiling, gas and driving strategy.

Why is my MPG so low?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Why is my MPG so low?

I am a new member and I was looking at all the high MPG's people are getting. I am wondering why I may be getting such low numbers (37-39 MPG). I do mostly city driving which I know will affect it, but I have never seen above 42 even on trips. I do my best to take off slow and use moderate pedal control. I have owned my 06 HCH for about 6 months. I got it with 26,000 miles and it now has 42,000 miles on it. If anyone has an idea how to improve my MPG's, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Why is my MPG so low?

Hi,

I think some of the HCH owners once posted something about the 'defrost' being on by default when the car is started. Just something to check.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast

We just took possession of a new HCH II and working on our first 150 miles. In five days our average is 37 mpg with a combo of city and Hwy. There's usually 2-4 occupants.

Today we were stuck on the freeway behind a truck accident moving at 5-8 mph and the gas motor was running (unlike the Prius from my understanding). We watched the mpg drop 1 mpg during that 1 mile 20 minute trip.

With the new MPG numbers (40 city and 45 hwy) on the 08 sticker, getting high 30s in our primarily city driving scenario seems appropriate. Hoping for higher as the car breaks in.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You just have a heavy foot compared too most? You must have a feather foot in order to get numbers over 50mpg. If you are in a hurry it is impossible to achive high numbers.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mycivichybrid
I am a new member and I was looking at all the high MPG's people are getting. I am wondering why I may be getting such low numbers (37-39 MPG). I do mostly city driving which I know will affect it, but I have never seen above 42 even on trips. I do my best to take off slow and use moderate pedal control. I have owned my 06 HCH for about 6 months. I got it with 26,000 miles and it now has 42,000 miles on it. If anyone has an idea how to improve my MPG's, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dan
Try the HCH-specific area for more responses, and try the search feature. There is a wealth of info on this very subject.

Quickly, I can say check your tire pressure, increase it a bit over what the door jam says, slow down, try to use your brakes less (look ahead in traffic), check your air filter, accelerate slowly...

Are just a few quick ideas. Do a bit of research and read "Tarabell's article".

You can do it!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

I think some of the HCH owners once posted something about the 'defrost' being on by default when the car is started. Just something to check.

Bob Wilson
Along those lines, make sure that your air conditioner is displayed "AC-off", as it could be on (even in cold weather) in all other settings.

Honestly, my mileage has been pretty crappy too since the weather got cold. I'm lucky hit 50mpg on in the cold mornings and the high 60mpg commutes home are now a distant memory. It's enough to make me consider an engine block heater...

Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 PM

In addition to what everyone else wrote, I would try different gas. Some stations use 10% ethanol in their gas. The alcohol will make you FE suffer. Definitely read Tarabell's article and practice your driving.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you everyone for your advice. I will be trying these things and I will get back to you all soon.
Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-02-2007, 10:34 AM

Be patient and alert to what you read here and what you experience in your car.

I've been working on it for four years now and am still learning.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Part Time Hybrids

My own 2 cents:

From personal experience, however tempting avoid the urge to add more gas going uphill. Slowing down on the rise isn't a bad thing.

Quick Reply: Why is my MPG so low?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands