Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

2004 Prius in 22 Days

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:49 AM
A Little Green

Hi, my name is Jim and I bought my 2004 Prius recently. Though it didn't take long to buy from this dealer, I was on a different waiting list since late April, 2004. This gave me time to read the manual (twice) and the Nav manual before I drove my Prius home.

The short story is this: I drove the car home 350 miles from the dealer on half a tank of gas. But I’m not known to tell short stories.

My wife and I began September 11 (2004) with a peaceful breakfast at the Illinois Tollway’s newly remodeled O’Hare Oasis near that airport on I-294. It would be a good place for a Prius owners’ meet and eat because the food court is enclosed above the tollway, and parking is available for travelers in either direction (gasoline too if you ever need it).

We quickly drove the Avalon (hereafter referred to as “her car”) to the Milwaukee Airport, where airfare and parking is much cheaper. The enclosed garage allowed us to look for a spot and leave within the first 30 minutes at no charge. That made it ideal for our return the next day in the Prius. We parked very near the entrance to the garage. That was farther from the airport terminal building, but there was a moving sidewalk to it, and we didn’t intend to fly back there when we could go in a Nav-equipped 2004 Salsa Red Prius.

We realized we might be too excited or busy at the Toyota dealer to have lunch, so we had a little bit at the airport. For some reason, very few people were flying on September 11. See the prayers comment below.

Our Midwest Connect plane seated 19 passengers, all of whom had both an aisle and a window. The only employees were the pilot and co-pilot, who welcomed us and sat down to fly. Because there was an FAA observer in the front row, the cockpit door was open for the entire flight and it was easy for all (seven) of us to see out the front. It was the second-best navigation system I was to see that day.

We landed smoothly in Escanaba, Michigan (Upper Peninsula) 20 minutes early on a planned 65-minute flight. The dealer had agreed to meet us at the gate. I replied, “Okay, I’ll turn my cell phone on as soon as I can, so we can find each other in the airport if there’s any confusion.” Scott Anderson, the dealer, calmly advised, “Jim, there’s only the one gate.”

Yes, it was a little building like the TV show “Wings” without the people, or the food service. Our plane was the largest one there, and there was one woman waiting to board the flight back to Milwaukee. And her family. No one else. And half the terminal was brand new, and the other half was being renovated.

We knew we had a few minutes to wait for Scott, so we looked around for the fall colors we hoped to see in this area on the northern shore of Lake Michigan. We walked out the door of the terminal (it wasn’t far) and past the renovations to the parking lot (also not far but a good-sized lot). It was immediately apparent that, with 95% of the trees clad in evergreen needles, there weren’t going to be fall colors in great number, but we did see one red tree and one beautiful orange tree. And one red car.

We could see a red Prius coming toward us. It was Scott bringing our car to us. At this point it had 6 miles on it from port movements and 2 more to do the local check list and get to the airport. Scott gave me the key, I put it in my pocket, and we were off because I had already read the manual (twice).

No place in Escanaba is too far away, and we were soon at Riverside Town & Country to meet the business manager and sign the paperwork. Scott talked us both through a well-prepared orientation in his office and out in the car, where my wife’s knowledge quickly caught up to mine. I could see it had the whole mat/cargo net/first-aid kit package, though we had only paid for the mats. And as we agreed, it came in without the rear bumper appliqué. Our Avalon never had scratches there. If I ever get some, then I can put an appliqué to cover them.

In reviewing the charges and writing the check for the amount I had been told three days before, I finally understood the $10 transit fee. It covered a Michigan window sticker that served as a temporary plate for two weeks until I could apply for title and plates in Illinois. Also, Scott had verified with me in advance that, unlike Michigan residents, I needed a front license plate bracket. His shop did a great job installing it, and both front and rear bore removable dealership placards in place of plates. All preparations were absolutely perfectly done in accordance with the checklist, and the tank was full.

I later learned that they had programmed twelve of the eighteen radio station slots with local Chicago stations for my convenience. I found that out when I intentionally pushed the button on the wheel to look for what might be the next station up, and my very favorite station (WXRT Classic Rock) came in clearly near Kenosha (and not that bad in South Milwaukee).

Without rushing the orientation, and without staying to explore Escanaba and have lunch, we were on the road with the Nav set for home just 3 hours after we got ON the plane in Milwaukee. We were not disparaging Escanaba; after all, Scott had given me an Upper Peninsula (est. 1837) T-shirt in my size, but rain was coming and it was a long way home.

At the first county line we returned to Central time from Eastern, and all settings in the car were correct. Sometimes the Nav told us to go straight when the only other option was a rough road at 30 degrees to the road, but we soon got comfortable with it and it did not continue those kind of alerts in Wisconsin or Illinois (all on Region 6 of the DVD, which I was pleased to see was the latest version–3.3).

We stayed ahead of the rain and hardly had to use the wipers. At the last town in Michigan, Menominee, the road turned with plenty of advance guidance so that we could see two sides of a beautifully restored brick church. We noticed that there was just enough time to finally have a quick lunch at a McDonald’s west of the church, and go to a Mass so we didn’t have to look around on Sunday morning (though I’m sure the Nav would have helped).

The church was very tall and very white and gold inside. Many people sang and we were pleased to join them. This is when we began to feel like we were on vacation instead of shopping. We were still far north enough that there were no Packers insignia present, just one man with a Detroit Lions shirt. (They were to beat my Bears the next day.)

During Mass there is a section of prayers that is often opened for those present to add their intentions. This is not always done, as it alternates between deeply moving and interminably petty. One person spoke up, praying for everyone in Florida.

No one there added another prayer, not even on September 11th. We know the pain from three hurricanes is great in the southeast U.S. and our thoughts are with you.

We quickly crossed the Menominee River into Marinette, Wisconsin, a lovely old town with, yes, cheese, and a detour. We followed the posted detour signs and noticed the Nav system was rolling with the changes. It told us to “Proceed” (which we later learned was the Nav system’s word for “Well, you missed it, now go this way.”) and turn, following the detour exactly, as it happened. We also passed Marinette’s auto dealership that was in Scott’s Riverside Group while on the reroute. But we didn’t need any service.

Now the roads got larger and the speeds faster. We breezed through Green Bay, enjoying some CDs on the audio system, and decided to spend the night in Sheboygan, Wisconsin (yes, the one in the Toyota commercial–not to be confused with Cheboygan, Michigan.) The car was quiet and smooth throughout the trip, with no funny vibrations or odors. We also learned we did not hate the HID lights on the Prius when we were behind them looking out (though I still don’t like to face them).

The Nav system helped us find our hotel, even after we got off I-43 too soon. That error occurred because we could not add the hotel while we were moving; we had to exit somewhere first. By then we just needed to get some cough medicine, have a good supper, and get some sleep. The AmericInn was very quiet and smoke-free. With its two-story lobby and staircase there to the upper floors, it felt like staying in a lodge. We were able to note that the White Sox won in Anaheim for a change, and got lots of sleep. Breakfast was provided by the hotel.

My wife usually does most of the driving, so she took us to her car at Milwaukee’s airport. (I noticed the Prius had slowed down as we passed the Pabst brewery in downtown Milwaukee, but I knew it still wasn’t thirsty.)

As advertised, the Prius was in and out of the airport lot for free, and we went home in separate cars. I had just enough CDs to get me home. Here’s what tracks I recommend for driving, as they seemed appropriate to the Prius on the way home:
by Peter, Paul, and Mary – Don’t Laugh At Me, How Can I Keep From Singing?, and It’s Magic
by Dire Straits – Twisting by the Pool, So Far Away, Money for Nothing, Walk of Life, and On Every Street (skipping, of course, Heavy Fuel)
by Fleetwood Mac – Don’t Stop, You Can Go Your Own Way, Never Going Back Again
by Yes – Roundabout, Long-Distance Runaround, and Mood For a Day
by Harry Nilsson – Lazy Moon, Lullaby in Ragtime, What’ll I Do?, Nevertheless, and This Is All I Ask (and “The Point!” if you have it)
and if you have Supertramp – Goodbye Stranger, Breakfast in America, and Take the Long Way Home.

As I said, my favorite radio station had been programmed to #1 at the dealer. It was featuring a “Breakfast With the Beatles” Sunday morning program, in which I was treated to a circus pipe organ playing “Help!” in its entirety. “It Won’t Be Long” also seemed appropriate as the journey neared an end.

I reached my neighborhood without any help. The Nav system watched as I passed the exit it recommended (slow street) to go one more mile to another interstate. It adjusted rapidly (“proceed…” as I have said) and I was home at lunch time, where my wife joined me.

I finished up with a few basic housekeeping items for a long trip. Because yellow jackets were nearby, waiting to feast on the dead bugs my front bumper had collected, I headed for the nearest Mobil station for a touchless car wash. I paid inside and mentioned I would not be buying gas, just the car wash, because I had come 350 miles and I still had half a tank of gas (the gauge had just dropped the fifth “bar” to show only four). The attendant immediately asked, “What kind of car is that?” and we chatted for a bit. Later we washed my wife’s car. I agree with those who have said the Prius may not need to stop as often for filling, but the occupants still need to stop for emptying.

The wash was uneventful (drive in, stay in car, wait, drive out slowly past a dryer) and I even left the antenna on.

At home I wiped up the drippy spots and the car indeed looked brand new. I attempted to turn off the beep for the driver’s seat belt, as we always fasten ours. The “b-off” message appeared, but I guess I still have something to learn about that. With my wife’s help, we programmed the HomeLink to open and close the garage door. Finally, to remind me that I was approaching the correct red Prius in case there are others, I applied a window cling to the small left rear window. I never need to look out of it anyway. The cling features Washington University, my son’s college, whose colors are red and green.

After lunch we did the obligatory demonstrations to relatives and all our Nav tests went well. At last I understood the Energy screen, which now had the famous blue bars filling most of the battery icon. In a few days I will have the Illinois paperwork done. I will discuss cute license plates somewhere else.

Did I mention I like this car? You can’t imagine how hard it is for a lifelong public transit professional to put aside the ideal of sharing and buy a car (the first new car for just me, at age 46). Though I am not likely to be known for sharing the car, perhaps I will help by sharing cleaner air, and advice at hybrid meetups.

I did not name the car, but I think it named me. It made me “Careful Driver” which is not a bad thing. And don’t we all like happy beginnings?

Old 09-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Contributor ($)

Jim,
Wow! That was a fun read. I think you win for longest introduction.
Welcome aboard. I look forward to seeing your mileage in the database.

Old 09-22-2004, 10:42 AM
A Little Green

Thanks. I did finally fill up the tank. Don't know if I can keep adding more to the database, but I will try. 56.1 mpg to start; not bad for a beginner.

Old 09-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Site Founder

Wow. Keep this up and Wayne (xcel) will have to watch his back! Glad you like your car. Welcome to GreenHybrid.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:33 PM
A Little Green

Thanks, Jason. I do get wordy.

To be fair, I read everyone else's intros (yes, even GreenBot and the diesel guy).

Still looking for a college, Jason? My son is at Washington University and you can see it (briefly) on the October 8th Presidential debate between...

oh, I shouldn't say this...
<political comment>
the President and the former President.
</political comment>

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Just a robot

Thanks, Jason. I do get wordy.

To be fair, I read everyone else's intros (yes, even GreenBot and the diesel guy).

Still looking for a college, Jason? My son is at Washington University and you can see it (briefly) on the October 8th Presidential debate between...

oh, I shouldn't say this...
<political comment>
the President and the former President.
</political comment>

Thanks again for the warm welcome.
You are quite welcome!

Are we still talking about Undefined?
Where did you get it?Are you fair he or she read everyone else's intros yes even GreenBot and the diesel guy ?Still how long? Where do you look for a college Jason ?How many children do you have?That's alright. That's good information:
Undefined said Undefined shouldn't say this. How did you hear about GreenBot?
Can we get back to business?
:blink:

Old 09-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Site Founder

Oh, boy. Didn't know the robot was still on! Haha.

How does he like WashU? I'll be going up to take a look at the school a few days after the debate. It'll likely be in my top 3 choices.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome on board from "The diesel guy"...

Old 09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
A Little Green

Thanks, Rammstein.

I couldn't remember which was you and which was the car. <_<

Old 09-24-2004, 06:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Wash U! Cool! I live in St Louis too, but I wont be going to college there... I hope. I hope Ill go to Art Center in Pasedena, California where I'll be driving prius.. AND designing prius =)