Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New (used) 2006 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default New (used) 2006 Honda Civic

Although I got a little jumpy and started posting in other threads, I decided I should post up a little about myself here.

I have always been addicted to speed. Having several Honda's in the past, I would always modify them and add different engines. I have had about 3 Civic Hatchbacks ( with different engines : LS, GSR, SI ). I had also purchased a 2000 Civic EX that I started to play with.

I have always been interested in motorcycles, but due to parents, never purchased one. In 2003 I purhcased a Honda CBR600RR.

Name:  600RRs010.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  149.6 KB

Being that I loved speed, as noted above, I started to get into racing Motorcycles. A couple of months later....
Name:  PICT0078.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  128.0 KB

After the purchase of the motorcycle, I sold the vehicles I had and kept only 1 motorcycle. I was tired of always switching the body work from Race to Street. I decided to purchase another motorcycle.

Name:  SV650rightfront.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  125.1 KB

I was able to pick this guy up for $2500. It now currently looks MUCH different, but dont have updated pictures.

Now with the rain season, racing has slowed down. I just recently sold the CBR600 Honda and kept the SV650.

With having motorcycles for 3 years and no car, I decided it was time to go purchase one. A good friend of the family works at the Toyota dealer in National City "Mile of Cars". He gave me a call and told me he had a "Honda Civic Hybrid" he could give me a great deal on. ( note: I had advised him that I wanted a car to just get me arround town to save me gas)

As soon as I showed up he said I could walk out the lot with a used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 25K miles for $18K. He added 5yr 100K mile warranty, GAP insurance, full tank of gas, and first 3 oil changes for free. In addition to those goodies, he was able to give me a 5.9% APR on a used car, which is really good. ( I guess it kinda pays off to know the lot Manager )

I felt, and still do, that I came out with a good deal. Now that I have driven the car arround for about a total of 3 gas tanks. (roughly about 500 miles a tank) I am very happy with the purchase. My interest in learning more information about this vehicle lead me to do lots of research. I am a huge fan of reading reviews on EVERYTHING. The reasearch is what led me to this website. I was a "lurker" for a good while, until I decided I should join the community.

Anywyas... that is the story of how I got here. I am missing a couple more things, but since I am at work I have to cut it short. hahahaha

To add to information about myself:
1. I work at UCSD Medical Center
2. I do Graphic Design as a hobby/job/personal business - started of with learning how to make cool signatures, and ended up with creating several websites for companies.

NOTE: I will create a signature for this website soon.

Thanks,
Black Ice

Old 12-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New (used) 2006 Honda Civic

Welcome, Black Ice! Nice to hear a bit about you, and I'm glad you're so pleased with your new hybrid. It sounds like you're going to have an interesting perspective on some of the things we talk about here. Nice signature! I could see that on a bumper sticker!

Good luck with the new (used) HCH, and thanks for joining us. See you around the forum!

Old 12-07-2007, 12:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
Welcome, Black Ice! Nice to hear a bit about you, and I'm glad you're so pleased with your new hybrid. It sounds like you're going to have an interesting perspective on some of the things we talk about here. Nice signature! I could see that on a bumper sticker!

Good luck with the new (used) HCH, and thanks for joining us. See you around the forum!
Thanks for the warm welcome ! There is a TON of information on this website. I find myself looking more at this website, than actually doing work.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Engineering first

Welcome to the CLUB!

Originally Posted by Black Ice
. . .
With having motorcycles for 3 years and no car, I decided it was time to go purchase one. A good friend of the family works at the Toyota dealer in National City "Mile of Cars". He gave me a call and told me he had a "Honda Civic Hybrid" he could give me a great deal on. ( note: I had advised him that I wanted a car to just get me arround town to save me gas)

As soon as I showed up he said I could walk out the lot with a used 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with 25K miles for $18K. He added 5yr 100K mile warranty, GAP insurance, full tank of gas, and first 3 oil changes for free. In addition to those goodies, he was able to give me a 5.9% APR on a used car, which is really good. ( I guess it kinda pays off to know the lot Manager )

I felt, and still do, that I came out with a good deal. Now that I have driven the car arround for about a total of 3 gas tanks. (roughly about 500 miles a tank) I am very happy with the purchase. My interest in learning more information about this vehicle lead me to do lots of research. I am a huge fan of reading reviews on EVERYTHING. The research is what led me to this website. I was a "lurker" for a good while, until I decided I should join the community.

Anywyas... that is the story of how I got here. . . .
Regardless of the route, it sounds like you got an excellent deal and the HCH sounds like a good match. As always, it is a good idea to record your mileage in the database to find out what works and doesn't work. I'd skip the dealer tank and enjoy what you see in the subsequent tanks.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 12-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Welcome to the CLUB!

Regardless of the route, it sounds like you got an excellent deal and the HCH sounds like a good match. As always, it is a good idea to record your mileage in the database to find out what works and doesn't work. I'd skip the dealer tank and enjoy what you see in the subsequent tanks.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

My first tank did not do so well. This gas tank I filled it up to the rim... so we will see what it gives me. As mentioned before, I am already above my mark. With a 1/4 tank I have about 400 miles. I dont know if the reason for this is due to filling it up to the TOP... but we will see.

My mpg say 39.7 ... so if we do a little math here :

12.3 gallon tank X 39.7 mpg = 488.31 total miles on one gas tank

If I exceed that mileage, then I would have to guess that either the MPG is calculated incorrectly or filling it up the gas tank to the rim, is more than 12.3 gallons.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: New (used) 2006 Honda Civic

Originally Posted by Black Ice
My first tank did not do so well. This gas tank I filled it up to the rim... so we will see what it gives me. As mentioned before, I am already above my mark. With a 1/4 tank I have about 400 miles. I dont know if the reason for this is due to filling it up to the TOP... but we will see.

My mpg say 39.7 ... so if we do a little math here :

12.3 gallon tank X 39.7 mpg = 488.31 total miles on one gas tank

If I exceed that mileage, then I would have to guess that either the MPG is calculated incorrectly or filling it up the gas tank to the rim, is more than 12.3 gallons.
Some folks get pretty excited about using indicated MPG versus pump/trip meter calculated mileage. My practice is to use the calculated mileage for the database and the indicated MPG for performing experiments such as comparing different routes or warm-up approaches. Let me give an example where indicated mileage answers the question about stationary, fuel burn, say warm-up.

To answer the question about how much fuel is burned if the car is sitting on the driveway, warming up until it will auto-shutdown:
  • Drive home with after resetting the mileage indicator for some non-trival distance, say 10 miles.
  • Park the car and let it sit over night.
  • The next morning, record the starting MPG and miles to calculate fuel burned until parked.
  • Start the car and let it warm-up to auto-shutdown.
  • When the ICE stops, use the new MPG and existing distance to figure out the fuel burn. The difference is how much gas it took to warm-up the car.
You will find many interesting things to benchmark and the indicated mileage and trip meter will be a power tool to gain insight. As for the tanks of fuel, they will take care of themselves and are mostly useful for vehicle life-time calculations.

Just a suggestion. BTW, you might want to post this same question in the Honda forums. The folks there are real experts on your car and probably know a few 'Easter Eggs' unique to HCH.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson