08 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 Won't Start

Well car has been on the charger and it didn't seem to help at all. I left it on there all night, I'll have the wife try to start it when she gets home.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Try the key cycling trick, that usually seems to help.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

When you did the jump did you press and release quickly or hold down? You must press and release quickly, if you hold down it will flash at you and make you think it's doing something and it is not, it is just kinda resetting itself.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Another theory came to mind. I have an all metal "lockout" key that is a physical copy of my FEH key but without the transponder. This key can open the door, turn the ignition switch so that all the beeps and dash lights happen, but can't actually start the ICE. It seems to behave pretty closely to what the OP is reporting.

I'm wondering if the transponder in his OEM key could be failing?

Old 12-12-2016, 02:16 PM
Active Enthusiast

That's not outside of the realm of possibility. That would definitely be a dealer fix since they only have the one key though. At this point I am trying to keep them out of the dealer if at all possible but that's a great suggestion.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast

When you said you jumped the rear battery do you mean you first charged the 12 volt batt. and then pressed the little button under the panel in the drivers side floor on the left?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Yes had the battery charged and had the charger going while doing it. Just as in Ford Tek on YouTube

Old 12-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

The 06 actually has a panel inside the truck, it's near your left foot area if you had your feet closer to the seat while cruising down the highway. On the 08 and newer it is on the outside fuse panel behind the driver door so you have to open the door to get to it. You probably need to open the door on either vehicle though unless you are very tiny lol.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, as long as you saw the light on solid for a while and then flashing it should be good charge wise. I would listen to the sound to make sure the contactor is going in when it is in the on position. You could possibly have a bad underhood relay or something wrong with the ignition if it doesn't want to come in and both the hybrid battery and under hood battery have good charge. A lot of times on vehicles you have identical relays and can swap them around.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Active Enthusiast

My manuals are made for having the VCM which I don't have and I am sure you don't have. If you tried everything I suggested I would say it might be dealer time and just let them know what we've narrowed down. What they're looking for is AA in Section 5 of the Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnostics manual. That should get them in the right direction a bit quicker and maybe save you a few bucks. Unless someone else has ideas of common issues I am kinda stumped at this point.

Quick Reply: 08 Won't Start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands