08 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 Won't Start

Hold up, found this. Looks like a new tumbler was a good first step, but you need a new switch too.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Old 12-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Old 12-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast

I only replaced the switch itself and did not replace the actual tumbler. I didn't think that was the issue as 90% of the people replace the switch and the problem goes away. I tried the 30 sec on and off thing, that did not work. I did hear the battery in the back click when i put it to on acc pos and click off again when I shut it off. So I guess my neck move would be to replace the lock cylinder . Then if that doesn't work it's going to the dealer. Already annoying as is.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

So you replaced the electrical switch on the left hand side of the column? I would say if that has been done it could be the tumbler if it feels like it's gotten more and more messed up. Other things I would look at are your relays. Fords are well known for having relay issues and sometimes the relay will still click but it won't work. A lot of people will swap relays back and forth since the same kind are used for various things. If you want to try that let me know and I will look into what ones you need to try swapping.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

You can test it to see if it is the tumbler by removing everything and seeing if with the key in the run position that it tries to start when you turn the electrical switch, it could be the tumbler is not coming out far enough or that something in your assembly is flexing too much, or if you got the cheapest switch like a Dorman that it's bad.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

I bought the motorcraft oem switch not the dorman. I will go down and try that key in on but have done this before. What are the relays that I could move around and see if it wil start?

Old 12-13-2016, 12:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm having a very hard time locating anything in the manual about the start relay, it might not actually have one since it is started by the hybrid system.

What I'm seeing from three years ago is someone with an identical problem to yours they disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and it didn't change anything, but when they disconnected the battery overnight it started again and the problem doesn't appear to have resurfaced since. I can't give info on why, but I would say it's worth a shot at this point to unhook the negative terminal overnight.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

I have tried draining the battery with the neg off and holding the break etc. I'll take it off when I get home and leave it till tomorrow. So far nothing has worked lol

Old 12-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sometimes systems need longer to drain. I don't know why they had no issue after leaving it disconnected overnight, but it worked. Maybe they had a bad power sustain relay that kept the system active so it wouldn't clear, who knows.

If you do end up taking the car to the dealer please let us know what they found so we can have a reference point for future failures.

Quick Reply: 08 Won't Start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands