2005 FEH Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2005 FEH Not Starting

Hi gang, my mom just texted to let me know my 2005 FEH isn't starting after having been idle in a Florida garage for 6+ months. After consulting several Ford dealers, they kept a trickle charger on the small battery when they left it for that long. However, the car won't start. How likely is it that the hybrid battery has drained, or worse yet now failed? Car was running like a champ before it was left. Just hoping to get some opinions before they consult a dealer - just don't want them to get upsold on a replacement battery if it's not likely warranted!

Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2005 FEH Not Starting

Unlikely there is a sudden problem with the 330v traction battery. Attempting to charge it somehow won't fix the no-start condition.
It is more likely the 12v battery isn't good enough to start (you probably already checked this), or the ignition switch/key mechanism has worn out. Would check those things out first before looking in to others (which probably need a good hybrid tech to do).

Old 01-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I recently serviced an '09 mariner hybrid that had sat for 6 months. HV battery went flat (248V resting. Should north of 300V). Owner's manual states to disconnect the 12V for longer storage periods to prevent damage to the HV battery. I guess if you leave it connected, it somehow drains the HV battery - perhaps keeping power to the ECUs that monitor battery module state?

Anyway, HV battery charged and Mariner is back on the road.

1) make sure the 12V is fully changed and healthy.
2) Look in the manual and follow the jump start procedures for the HV Battery. there is a panel behind which is a button that allows you to use the 12V battery to charge the HV battery.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 01-01-2017, 01:03 PM

The HV battery is what actually cranks the engine to start. Both it and the 12v underhood battery need to be charged for it to start. Do the headlights come on?

Old 01-04-2017, 06:03 AM

The 12v battery closes a relay contactor to enable the HV battery to start the engine. If the 12v battery is too low then nothing happens. So first ensure that it is good.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

There's a jump start procedure on youtube for that generation by fordtechmakuloco that should help get you up and running. You will need a good 12v charger because that's probably flat and you'll need a good amount of power to recharge the 330v battery. Make sure when you press the button don't hold it, just press and release quick.

Here it is, says 08, it's the 06 so same layout as yours.