2006 Escape Hybrid, driver door lock doesnt unlock after batter replaced

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 AM
Default Re: 2006 Escape Hybrid, driver door lock doesnt unlock after batter replaced

Originally Posted by RiverRat37
The way you use the battery in an FEH is not deep-cycling, no matter what (OK, so if you have those huge drivers for speakers and play mind-numbing bass stuff for hours with the car turned all the way off .... then .... perhaps .... maybe. But you shouldn't be disturbing the neighborhood that way in any case.) The extra cost is a waste. And besides, deep-cycle batteries are "supposed" to be deep-cycled and you won't be doing that hardly ever. The standard OEM battery is as good as it gets for this car. And ... another thing, you'll most likely have to work to find a deep cycle battery that fits. It's an old size (at least in some years). There's a time for the very best and this isn't one of them. Save your money.
Buy a nice little portable radio with a couple of "D" cells and you'll be just fine. ;-)
I agree!

GaryG

Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2006 Escape Hybrid, driver door lock doesnt unlock after batter replaced

Originally Posted by econoline
I won't buy unsealed batteries anymore, just too messy, they alway corrode the battery tray over time.

I use Optima Red Tops in all my vehicles...no out-gassing, no corrosion on battery terminals, no corroded battery trays, etc.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

I won't buy an Optima anything since the company changed owners and their products aren't what they used to be.

However, I've heard another company reverse engineered their batteries and now produces a superior product... Unfortunately, I forgot the name.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
I use Optima Red Tops in all my vehicles...no out-gassing, no corrosion on battery terminals, no corroded battery trays, etc.
Gator, do you happen to know what size Optima you have in the FEH? Did it fit perfectly or did the base have to be trimmed? I'm pretty sure the D35 is the right size for the FEH.
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-07-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by econoline
Gator, do you happen to know what size Optima you have in the FEH? Did it fit perfectly or did the base have to be trimmed? I'm pretty sure the D35 is the right size for the FEH. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have the Red Top 35. It was a direct drop-in for my 2006 FEH...zero modifications.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by elborak
Final update.

Had the Smart Junction Box replaced today and all is well (other than my wallet).

One final observation, for the sake of future readers of this thread. I've had two occasions when I've had the battery on my FEH run down; once when it was able to be recharged (though I suspect the writing was on the wall) and the more recent instance when the battery failed altogether. In both cases, the car began making a cycle of clicking noises from under the hood, much like a relay constantly cycling. In hindsight, what I think happens is that when the SJB experiences a low voltage condition, one or more of the relays it houses starts cycling. My conjecture is that this is hard on the relay and can lead to a SJB failure.

So my advice (based solely on the conjecture above) is that if your battery gets low and you start hearing a relay clicking, you may wish to pull the negative battery lead to avoid damage to the SJB.

Hey, On my 2006, when I go out to my car and click the unlock button on the FOB, I here clicking from under the hood that last about 3 seconds, stops, then does it again for about 3 seconds. Then it wont do it again. The car starts up just fine every time. I do have the wrench light/service soon lights on and have already changed the blend door actuator.

What is that clicking that is coming from under the hood and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Cheapskate

Originally Posted by jaclins
On my 2006, when I go out to my car and click the unlock button on the FOB, I here clicking from under the hood that last about 3 seconds, stops, then does it again for about 3 seconds. Then it wont do it again. The car starts up just fine every time. I do have the wrench light/service soon lights on and have already changed the blend door actuator.

What is that clicking that is coming from under the hood and how can I fix it?
Is it actually a clicking sound, or more like a pump running briefly? If the latter, it's almost surely just the hybrid brakes pressurizing, which is normal.

Does it always do it, or only if the car has been off for ~5 minutes or more?