2007 FEH power steering failure

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 FEH power steering failure

Haven't posted here for a long time due to the FEH flawless performance but,the first breakdown has happened. 112K now. Cold start Thurs morning wrench light on and message service power steering came up.Same on every startup since and of course no PS-steers like a log wagon. One odd thing I noticed with this issue is an additional noise when the key is turned to on position,prior to crank position. A low tone double boomp....boomp and I can feel the vibration but can't locate the source.

Anyway,I work at a Ford store and had a Tech do the drilldown last evening and determined the PS module needs replaced using the tech manual procedure. Fingers crossed............

Old 11-14-2015, 04:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 FEH power steering failure

Originally Posted by locknut
Haven't posted here for a long time due to the FEH flawless performance but,the first breakdown has happened. 112K now. Cold start Thurs morning wrench light on and message service power steering came up.Same on every startup since and of course no PS-steers like a log wagon. One odd thing I noticed with this issue is an additional noise when the key is turned to on position,prior to crank position. A low tone double boomp....boomp and I can feel the vibration but can't locate the source.

Anyway,I work at a Ford store and had a Tech do the drilldown last evening and determined the PS module needs replaced using the tech manual procedure. Fingers crossed............
Would this be covered by the power steering failure recall?

Old 11-14-2015, 09:51 PM
Enthusiast

No,2007's were not in the recall.Only 2008's on up.Totally different system.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

OK a follow-up for interested parties and future resolution seekers. Tried to save some money and bought a used module off ebay.Dipstick sent a nasty looking ECM instead of the right part.Hope I get my money back! Ordered a new one yesterday afternoon and had the Tech put it on this morning.Works like a champ with one unexpected caveat.It sat for the last five days and wouldn't start.Checked voltage with the jump pack and read 8.6 volts.Jumped and ran it inside,shut it off and restarted OK.The battery was a Ford BXT96 replacement and five years old so we replaced it.

I noticed after he started it up and had it running for just a few minutes it dropped the ICE and ready for ED.I've had this thing for two years and it takes forever to drop in ED. Manual says to drive at least 10 miles for all systems to relearn,so I drove it around town for 13 miles.It hammered the ED every chance it had no matter what the gauge read and averaged 39 MPG.

And,the funniest part is,our so-called speedy,new $1800 Rotunda charger analyzer that took 1.5 Hrs to test says the battery is good,and I'm calling BS on this one! No way a good battery would drain to 8.6V in 5 days in 60deg ambient temp.

My advice,after 36 mo throw your battery away and get a new one.

PS; we tested the HV terminals on the old and new module.Across two terminals on the old one it read over 1 million ohms.The new one read 1300 ohms so we believe it was,indeed,toasted.

Last edited by locknut; 11-21-2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

A follow-up on the strange vibrating boomp---boomp noise; it's gone with the new batt and module.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a 2005 FEH and recently just rolled over 200K mi. My FEH has been an incredibly reliable vehicle. I purchased it with 102K on it and over the past 98K mi. the only thing I have done to it is regular maintenance, a blend door actuator (95K ago) and replaced a worn out A/C pump.

My daughter's car is dying so I decided to look for a used FEH for her. Found one in excellent shape with 191K mi. for $2000 with a bad power steering module. I ordered a new module for it and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

I pulled the old module out of the car, which turned out to be a very easy 30 minute job. The previous owner had it diagnosed by a shop and by the Ford dealer. Both confirmed that was the module. The only paperwork I have is by a Firestone shop that states "will need reprogramming... " after installing the new module. I believe there is also a thread on here about that but I can't find it. I may have been referring to the 2008 and newer issue with the power steering recall.

Does anyone know whether or not the '05-'07 will need programming after installing the new module?

I certainly don't want to do anything to damage the new module as it was $480 and that was heavily discounted from whatever the (much higher) list price is from Ford.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast

Hi locknut,

Thanks for the information. I see that you tested your old and new Power Steering Control Modules. By chance do you remember how you tested it exactly? I would like to test mine before buying a used one.

Thank you.

OK a follow-up for interested parties and future resolution seekers. Tried to save some money and bought a used module off ebay.Dipstick sent a nasty looking ECM instead of the right part.Hope I get my money back! Ordered a new one yesterday afternoon and had the Tech put it on this morning.Works like a champ with one unexpected caveat.It sat for the last five days and wouldn't start.Checked voltage with the jump pack and read 8.6 volts.Jumped and ran it inside,shut it off and restarted OK.The battery was a Ford BXT96 replacement and five years old so we replaced it.

I noticed after he started it up and had it running for just a few minutes it dropped the ICE and ready for ED.I've had this thing for two years and it takes forever to drop in ED. Manual says to drive at least 10 miles for all systems to relearn,so I drove it around town for 13 miles.It hammered the ED every chance it had no matter what the gauge read and averaged 39 MPG.

And,the funniest part is,our so-called speedy,new $1800 Rotunda charger analyzer that took 1.5 Hrs to test says the battery is good,and I'm calling BS on this one! No way a good battery would drain to 8.6V in 5 days in 60deg ambient temp.

My advice,after 36 mo throw your battery away and get a new one.

PS; we tested the HV terminals on the old and new module.Across two terminals on the old one it read over 1 million ohms.The new one read 1300 ohms so we believe it was,indeed,toasted.