2007 Ford Escape Hybrid and non-Hybrid Engine differences

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid and non-Hybrid Engine differences

If you are willing to give up the fuel efficiencies of the Atkinson cycle engine, and IF the block has compatible mating points for the eCVT/transmission, and IF the computer systems governing the hybrid systems are compatible with the regular engine, then it should work. But that latter IF is a big one. It might be a non-issue, but it might be a total show-stopper. I don't think I'd want to be the guinea pig for this one.

eBay has used pre-'08 Escape hybrid engines for $1000-2500, and engine rebuild kits for about $600.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by GatorJ
So you're saying there's a chance?
Yes, about one in a million!

Old 02-27-2014, 08:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

99% that say fits escape hybrid don't, most say exc hybrid, meaning excluding hybrid somewhere in the ad, ebay is HORRIBLE for engine and transmission compatibilities, had the same problem with a 95 gmc that has a one year transmission

Old 02-27-2014, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by hondarider90
99% that say fits escape hybrid don't, most say exc hybrid, meaning excluding hybrid somewhere in the ad, ebay is HORRIBLE for engine and transmission compatibilities, had the same problem with a 95 gmc that has a one year transmission
You are correct. Going through the ads again, I see only 7 that are for pre-'08 Escape or Mariner Hybrids. But if there are that many on eBay, the interconnected auto recyclers should have more of them.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Feral Engineer

Here is an Escape hybrid being parted out near me.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/pts/4360445772.html

Old 11-08-2014, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

Hello all. I just finished overhauling my ICE. A lady sold it to me with a bad engine for $1,700 because she was told $5,000 for an engine from ford and another $1,000 for labor. It was on CL for months and lots of people looked at it. However due to the small amount of into on the FEH ICE no one wanted to touch it with a 10 foot pole. It’s pretty easy to pull and reinstall these engines. The transmission is fully supported by 3 mounts so it doesn’t even really budge when the engine is being pulled. Message me for any tips on this job. Spun a rod bearing and car quest had a new crank for around $250. Got a reconditioned rod, new flat top pistons, rings, all gaskets, timing set, and oil pump from EngineTech through RockAuto. Cost me about 1,200. Took me a day to remove and replace the engine (very easy job). It took me a day to rebuild it and I didn’t use any special tools. The hardest part was cleaning it off with a pressure washer before tearing it down. It’s just a normal Duratec 2.3. Everything is the SAME except it has flat top pistons and the cams are different: They are designed to prevent over compression. Google Atkinson engine if you want to know more.
I thought about just throwing in a junkyard non-hybrid Duratec 2.3 but I wasn’t sure how the PCM would handle it. I’m sure it would have been ok. The risk would have been losing out on a day of removal/replacement and a whopping $250 for the engine. A guy could sweet talk the junk yard into returning it if he asked nice and explained the situation. I plan on keeping this vehicle for many years and I just felt like rebuilding an engine. I believe (and I could be wrong) that Ford went with the Atkinson set up was to keep vibration down while the HVTB was trying to bleed off voltage by spinning the ICE
You know, a back yard mechanic could R&R the engine him self and bring it to a machine shop to rebuild a FEH ICE for less than 2,000.

Last edited by akfonzy; 11-08-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:06 PM

Nice going and thanks for the information.

Old 09-15-2022, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by akfonzy
Hello all. I just finished overhauling my ICE. A lady sold it to me with a bad engine for $1,700 because she was told $5,000 for an engine from ford and another $1,000 for labor. It was on CL for months and lots of people looked at it. However due to the small amount of into on the FEH ICE no one wanted to touch it with a 10 foot pole. It’s pretty easy to pull and reinstall these engines. The transmission is fully supported by 3 mounts so it doesn’t even really budge when the engine is being pulled. Message me for any tips on this job. Spun a rod bearing and car quest had a new crank for around $250. Got a reconditioned rod, new flat top pistons, rings, all gaskets, timing set, and oil pump from EngineTech through RockAuto. Cost me about 1,200. Took me a day to remove and replace the engine (very easy job). It took me a day to rebuild it and I didn’t use any special tools. The hardest part was cleaning it off with a pressure washer before tearing it down. It’s just a normal Duratec 2.3. Everything is the SAME except it has flat top pistons and the cams are different: They are designed to prevent over compression. Google Atkinson engine if you want to know more.
I thought about just throwing in a junkyard non-hybrid Duratec 2.3 but I wasn’t sure how the PCM would handle it. I’m sure it would have been ok. The risk would have been losing out on a day of removal/replacement and a whopping $250 for the engine. A guy could sweet talk the junk yard into returning it if he asked nice and explained the situation. I plan on keeping this vehicle for many years and I just felt like rebuilding an engine. I believe (and I could be wrong) that Ford went with the Atkinson set up was to keep vibration down while the HVTB was trying to bleed off voltage by spinning the ICE
You know, a back yard mechanic could R&R the engine him self and bring it to a machine shop to rebuild a FEH ICE for less than 2,000.
hello self! Here we are again! We’ve found another FEH with a bad engine. I will be attempting to install a non-Hybrid engine (H code) into a hybrid with a cracked block. Worst case, if it dosent work, I can swap the top end from the old engine onto the replacement. I will keep everyone posted!

Last edited by akfonzy; 09-15-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:21 AM

You should put up some pics when you swap it.

Old 09-16-2022, 06:04 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ShadyEscape
You should put up some pics when you swap it.
I will be documenting this journey. I’ve bought a low mileage 2.3 H code (non-Hybrid) from a local salvage yard. Other users have successfully used a 2005+ 2.0 from a Focus to replace their 2.3 non-FEH. I was extremely tempted to use a 2.0 from a Focus just to prove it’s possible, but seeing as no one on earth has used a Z code 2.3 to replace their H code 2.3 ICE, I think I’m taking a big enough step for others to follow.

I see WAY to many of these FEH’s sitting in the junk yards, just because they have a bad engine. If I can prove that a cheap run of the mill H code 2.3 will work perfectly fine as a replacement ICE for our FEH, I will find another FEH with a bad engine and use a 2.0 to replace its ICE.