2008 FEH Clicking Sound When Stopping / Starting - Listen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 01:18 PM
Enthusiast
Default 2008 FEH Clicking Sound When Stopping / Starting - Listen!

I bought my '08 FEH about a year ago, and have noticed this sound ever since I bought it. It happens when I'm just coming to a stop, and just pulling away from a stop again. I would describe it as a "click" or "ping" sound that seems to come from both the front left and front right wheel area. I've made a recording of it while driving with the windows down. Take a listen and tell me if this is something I should worry about or if it is somehow normal.

Thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Old 06-29-2015, 11:38 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2008 FEH Clicking Sound When Stopping / Starting - Listen!

I am hearing it as well in my 2006 but sounds to me like it is coming from the back of the vehicle. Like a tap on metal. A ping as you put it.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast

Wow that's exactly the noise I've been getting on my 08 Mariner hybrid which I just acquired a few months ago.. None of the mechanics I've taken it to seem to acknowledge the sound exists or have identified it properly. i've had the entire front suspension replaced (shocks, Struts, Control Arms inc joints bushings, sway bar links) just have the nose persist. Finally one clue came from an earlier related thread on this site: https://www.greenhybrid.com/forums/f...topping-24736/

That owner put their vehicle in neutral when stopping thus disabling the transmission/regenerative breaking and the sound went away momentarily. I was able to get the same results with my mariner so it's definitely something related to the drivetrain.

Last edited by John Merris-Miche; 10-17-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Do you hear this going over bumps or turning or just going straight?

Saw a YT video where a sound like this was from the front axle CV joints but heard it when turning not straight.

I also saw another video where this sound was the front end links.

I hope it isn't related to the PTU that I just had to replace on mines. I don't know how to check the fluid but was told mines was dry (or almost).

Old 12-20-2015, 02:01 AM
Enthusiast

Solution found!

So after a few months of living with the noise I was finally able to get my 08 Mariner into another repair shop to try and diagnose the clicking nose again. Fortunately the technician was diligent enough this time and finally after much work found several minor issues and the one main problem.

Turns out, the noise was most likely the sub-frame locating pins were tapping on the vehicle's body as outlined in technical service bulletin: TSB 10-22-8
The solution was to unbolt the sub-frame and realign it forward so the the locating pins could no longer tap on other parts.

In addition, the technician found that the through bolt on the transmission mount assembly had also come loose and re-tightened that as well.

In the end it cost several hours of labor charges costing several hundred dollars.. However the noise is completely gone now and aside from standard road noise my Mariner is blissfully silent when starting from and coming to a stop. So I suppose it was money well spent.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Quangdog, Did you ever get a solution on the start/stop knock? I listened to the clip you posted and it sounds similar to mine. Due to the age of the car (2007), I've replaced both strut assemblies, both CV axles and both sway bar links. I noticed a lot of people talking about issues with the Power Takeoff Unit (PTU) / transfer case.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hi dlwharleyman,

I never did figure out exactly what the issue is. I only notice it in warm weather (generally that's when I have the windows down though - so it may not be weather related) and it has not been warm enough here yet for me to have been paying attention. It does not seem to be affecting anything other than making me a little anxious, so I've more or less decided to leave well enough alone for now. This car now has more than 175k miles on it, and I expect that it will start to need other stuff that will be more pressing.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Enthusiast

wow, nice to find this thread. my 08 FEH has this metallic clicking/clunking noise when pulling away from a stop or coming to a stop. Have checked and/or replaced numerous items but it remains.