2009 FEH alternator / 12v batt questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 04:18 PM
hybrid n00b
Default 2009 FEH alternator / 12v batt questions

My fleet manager at work just put in a PO for a 2009 FEH for me, so I'll be getting one in.. oh... a month or two? I have a few questions for you FEH experts!

In the FEH will be a Havis-Shields custom console replacing the OEM centre console for two-way radios, a 1000w Xantrex Prosine inverter and some blinky LED lights.

1. 12v alternator - what is it rated at? Obviously the inverter will be direct-wired to the 12v battery. I won't be running the inverter constantly at such high amperage, most likely <100w for charging camera and radio batteries and such. But still, don't want to fry the alternator or drain the battery too much.

2. I'm reading the 12v battery is not used for starting but for closing relays and such. In that case, would having a yellow-top deep cycle Optima battery be of use other than powering my 12v electronics with the engine off? Also looks like jump-starting is a thing of the past with the 330v battery being able to "help" the 12v with a button.

Thanks... that's it for my first post!

Old 02-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 FEH alternator / 12v batt questions

Originally Posted by canuckcam
My fleet manager at work just put in a PO for a 2009 FEH for me, so I'll be getting one in.. oh... a month or two? I have a few questions for you FEH experts!

In the FEH will be a Havis-Shields custom console replacing the OEM centre console for two-way radios, a 1000w Xantrex Prosine inverter and some blinky LED lights.

1. 12v alternator - what is it rated at? Obviously the inverter will be direct-wired to the 12v battery. I won't be running the inverter constantly at such high amperage, most likely <100w for charging camera and radio batteries and such. But still, don't want to fry the alternator or drain the battery too much.

2. I'm reading the 12v battery is not used for starting but for closing relays and such. In that case, would having a yellow-top deep cycle Optima battery be of use other than powering my 12v electronics with the engine off? Also looks like jump-starting is a thing of the past with the 330v battery being able to "help" the 12v with a button.

Thanks... that's it for my first post!
Sorry, but there is no alternator in the FEH.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
hybrid n00b

Well that clears it up. In the previous vehicles, I'd get an upgraded alternator 100 or 150A instead of the standard 70A for the heavier load. What do I do now? I realize going to the Hybrid is a bit of a change!

Old 02-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

You might inquire about the amp draw of your radio pack and make sure the DC(330v)/DC(12v) converter can handle the current, if it is high.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:22 PM
hybrid n00b

Normal use the draw is approx 5A total. Transmit on one (not all at the same time!) is 13A IIRC. So what you're saying is that the only source of regenerative power is the traction motor which feeds the 330v pack, then uses the converter to feed the 12v battery and accessories?

Last edited by canuckcam; 02-05-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

You have 2 HUGE generator/motor that charge a high voltage battery pack. One is primarily used to charge the battery from the engine the other is used for regen braking. To power the cars 12v system you have a DC to DC converter that will more than cover that small load of your radios I think I read the output of the DC to DC was over 120 amps @ 12v. Maybe some one else has the actual specs for this.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

You are talking about 2-way radios and blinking lights.
Are you wanting to use this for a police car or patrol car of some sort?

A good friend of mine works for a large University. The University wants to "go green". They want to use the FEH for the Campus police cars, and they also want to retrofit with radios and blinking lights.

My friend asked me the exact same questions, tonight in fact.
In the past, he said the old traditional cop car light bars would wear out alternators in 2 years. He said for the FEH the University would install the modern LED type flashers. I told him it would be fine, and the FEH would be an ideal car for cruising campus parking lots.

The FEH has a 330v to 14v converter rated for at least 100 amps at 14v.
I don't know the exact spec, but I've pulled 100 amps and didn't hurt anything!
Of course the 100a was coming from the 12v battery too, but it seemed to "keep up" and not drain.

HTH,
-John

Old 02-06-2009, 09:34 AM
hybrid n00b

Thanks a ton, John! Let me know how they work out, if they're building out the FEH already. I've talked to a few installers and none of them have done 2009 Escape Hybrids, only older models. The blinky lights are for me simply traffic backers, not a light show. I'm a photojournalist, it's just for if we're on the side of the road or something. It goes with the safety vests we need to wear on active roadways.

FWIW for others, the traditional lightbars are halogen lights, and each bulb pulls 55w give or take depending on the model. So imagine the draw with 6-8 of those lights going, plus strobes, high-beam wig-wags....!

Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is from Ohio State:
Name:  OHioStateFEHwithlightsLargee-mailvi.jpg
Views: 5309
Size:  78.1 KB

Old 02-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Many law enforcement and security agencies at all levels have been using Escape Hybrids for patrol uses. Here in LA, the county beach lifeguards have a fleet of 45 2009 4WD models that Ford was able to upfit and paint for them on the assembly line.

Quick Reply: 2009 FEH alternator / 12v batt questions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands