2011 Explorer get PTO/PTU cooling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default 2011 Explorer get PTO/PTU cooling.

Soon to come for the Escape..?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: 2011 Explorer get PTO/PTU cooling.

There is a manual posted for the 2011 Explorer now but it's not layed out like all other manuals. Not sure because it's incomplete or what.

The removal/install of the PTU mentions nothing at all about coolant lines nor is it mentioned any place else in the theory of operation.

The transaxle is either the 6F50 or 6F55. The theory of operation of the 4WD is exactly the same as the Escape.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wptski
There is a manual posted for the 2011 Explorer now but it's not layed out like all other manuals. Not sure because it's incomplete or what.

The removal/install of the PTU mentions nothing at all about coolant lines nor is it mentioned any place else in the theory of operation.

The transaxle is either the 6F50 or 6F55. The theory of operation of the 4WD is exactly the same as the Escape.
"..same as the Escape.."

It looks to me as if the Explorer's NEW multi-mode F/awd control system has more control over engine torque, OVER-RIDE control, along with control/modification of the transaxle shift pattern. Or maybe those features are being added to the Escape..?

At the recent Seattle auto show the Ford technical rep (older coot, like me) assured me that the PTO/PTU was cooled but neither of us could get a good enough look at the bottom of the Explorer on display to see if the rear diff'l/clutch assembly was. He dug out the factory manual set with me looking over his shoulder and we still couldn't find any verification, or not, that the rera diff'l/clutch was cooled.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
"..same as the Escape.."

It looks to me as if the Explorer's NEW multi-mode F/awd control system has more control over engine torque, OVER-RIDE control, along with control/modification of the transaxle shift pattern. Or maybe those features are being added to the Escape..?

At the recent Seattle auto show the Ford technical rep (older coot, like me) assured me that the PTO/PTU was cooled but neither of us could get a good enough look at the bottom of the Explorer on display to see if the rear diff'l/clutch assembly was. He dug out the factory manual set with me looking over his shoulder and we still couldn't find any verification, or not, that the rera diff'l/clutch was cooled.
The basic operation is still the same but it has different driving condition settings. It states what they are but not what the difference in the operation might be.

I think that I've read that the PTU is water cooled but like I said, nothing mentioned in the online manuals as of today. This might be a rough copy of the manual with changes to come later.