AC Condenser leaking

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Feral Engineer
Default AC Condenser leaking

My 2007 FEH AC was not working well, so I used a recharge kit on it (which was easy), but 3 months later I noticed green oil running down the condenser and upon trying the AC - nothing but warm air.

Long story short, I ordered a new Motorcraft condenser from Amazon ($100), checked the pressure on the low side with the recharge gauge and it was zero so I knew it did not need to be evacuated prior to opening. The condenser install was relatively easy. You do need to remove the bumper cover and grill but it comes off easily following the instruction in the manual. I had to disconnect the MEC radiator hose and lost a little coolant, but was able to remove the condenser without taking off the front radiator. All in all, a 2 hour job taking it slow. If I did another one tomorrow I could do it in 45 minutes.

With the new condenser installed, I took it to a local shop where they evacuated it, added 2 pounds of 134a and 2 oz oil for $180. I figure I saved at least half over a stealership.

Not happy to do this at only 82,000 miles, but so far it has been dependable, though if repair prone.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: AC Condenser leaking

You might have a driving environment where corrosion happens faster on the delicate aluminum condenser. Whatever the cause, it's important to get this fixed on an FEH since the hybrid system won't work properly without the a/c system in top shape. You should notice it going into ev mode sooner and for more time plus an improvement in mileage and throttle response.