Any help appreciated on my new 2008 Mariner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Any help appreciated on my new 2008 Mariner.

Everyone, this is a great site. I just ordered a 2008 Mariner Hybrid with everything but AWD. Hopefully the FWD peforms well in the 3-5 days a year we get more then 2 inches of snow in Indiana.

I just took some of the first advice from this board and found info on ordering the trailer tow package from etrailer.com which was at a great price.

Anyways, I need help with purchasing mudflaps and a bluetooth system since the NAV system doesnt have it which surprised me.

Also, I see no mention anywhere yet of using a K&N air filter on the vehcile to improve gas mileage. K&N does make one.

Does eveyrone just run standard 87 octane also?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been paying 500+ per month for fuel and I just cant wait till my car arrives.

Thanks

Old 06-30-2007, 08:24 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Any help appreciated on my new 2008 Mariner.

Several people, myself included use K&N air filters. People who buy them, love them. Most 'think' there is a 1-2 MPG advantage.

The hybrid runs at faster RPM than traditional cars, and closer to wide-open throttle more often than traditional cars, therefore, the K&N is probably better for the hybrid, than in most cars. -John

Old 07-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pb5927317

Anyways, I need help with purchasing mudflaps and a bluetooth system since the NAV system doesnt have it which surprised me.

Also, I see no mention anywhere yet of using a K&N air filter on the vehcile to improve gas mileage. K&N does make one.
As far as mudflaps, Ford makes a molded set which look nice & match the truck but really aren't big enough to give really good protection. I have the molded ones myself but I'm considering swapping to something wider/longer.

I use a Parrot 3100 Blue-tooth setup which works very well. The Parrot automatically mutes the stereo when a call comes in & then runs the call through your factory (or aftermarket) speakers. It uses voice command to dial out & works very well.

I have a K&N air filter as I have used them for years in race cars/motorcycles etc etc & find they work quite well. I have not really noticed much mpg improvement from the swap, but it may be slightly better.

~John

Old 07-01-2007, 02:29 PM

I bought the flat flaps as the moulded ones are not yet available, atleast not for ford. I tried one set up front, and very pleased, will be adding a 2nd set to the rear soon.

Pics are in the link in my signature.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats on your order and welcome to GH! 87 octane is definitely the way to go... it will run fine on other octanes but it won't make any more power or provide better economy, it will just waste money. See if you can find gas in your area that's not oxygenated (ie 10% ethanol)... it really saps your fuel economy. I know Indiana allows concealed firearms and has legal firework sales, so it wouldn't surprise me if you had the good gas too!

Old 07-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brady
Congrats on your order and welcome to GH! 87 octane is definitely the way to go... it will run fine on other octanes but it won't make any more power or provide better economy, it will just waste money. See if you can find gas in your area that's not oxygenated (ie 10% ethanol)... it really saps your fuel economy. I know Indiana allows concealed firearms and has legal firework sales, so it wouldn't surprise me if you had the good gas too!
I went to the Guns, Fireworks, and 100 octane gas station to see what I could find today. :') It's great to live in Indiana! Anyways, it appears that the 92% ocatane is lower is oxygenated. The 93% premium is not. I will keep looking around, but do you think the non-oxy gas is valuable enough to make the difference, or will I just have track it and see?

This could explain why my Gas hog Dodge Ram got almost 2 MPG better on 92 vs. 93.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

I would say just track it and see. I probably wouldn't pay the extra money for 92 or 93 if that's the only way you can get 100% gas. 10% ethanol isn't too bad...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Brady
I would say just track it and see. I probably wouldn't pay the extra money for 92 or 93 if that's the only way you can get 100% gas. 10% ethanol isn't too bad...
Stupid question, how do you tell the difference? Is it going to be the same for the state, or do different brands have different mixes?

Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Active Enthusiast

I might not have my facts 100% right but I believe the Clean Air Act of 1995 required all gas stations within 50 miles of the 10 "dirtiest" cities to sell only oxygenated fuel. There are other state and local initiatives, like the entire state of Minnesota requires 10% ethanol gas.

If you go to http://www.gasbuddy.com/ and click on your state you should have access to a message board where you can ask people who are knowledgeable about your local area. That's how I found out that there's a gas station that sells 100% gas just a hair over 50 miles from Chicago. Since I live 38 miles away from the city it's not that far out of my way to gas up there.

Last edited by Brady; 07-03-2007 at 06:02 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

According to the EPA, a 10% ethanol blend will result in about a 3% loss in efficiency. For me, that works out to about 1 MPG. Now, premium gas in my area (which is allowed to be 100% gas because of the ridiculous number of boats around here which can't run on any ethanol) runs about 10 to 15 cents more than regular. Only 93 octane here is free from the ethanol mandate. So, 1 MPG equals about 15 more miles per tank; the extra cost in gas is about $1.50, making it more or less a wash for me.
The real fun will come when the E20 mandate comes into effect in 2012, with no provisions to have manufacturers cover necessary repairs. I fully intend to have my vehicle beyond 2012, and the geniuses on the Hill decided that manufacturers would just build cars especially for Minnesota's new mandate.

Quick Reply: Any help appreciated on my new 2008 Mariner.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands