Atypical oil filter question, 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Atypical oil filter question, 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid

Hey Everyone,

Finally got a day off to change my oil, and ran into a little snag when removing the cap on the top of the engine to add new oil. I've been changing my own oil for a long time, and as usual, I turned the cap counter-clockwise to open it. Sometimes these can be a little tough, and this was no different. While turning, I hard a plastic snap, and the thing finally turned to open up. That didn't sound good, so I took off the gray plastic cover over the engine to see what happened--it appears that there used to be a small piece of plastic securing the elongated cap to the engine....? This is now broken, so the cap screws back in fine, but it doesn't feel "secure"---as in, if the engine built up a lot of pressure here the cap might blow off.

The question is: is that a realistic risk (the engine getting warm on a long drive and the cap just blowing off)? Is it worthwhile to take into the dealer to have them see if it needs replacing? Is the piece of plastic really functional and necessary, or not?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Atypical oil filter question, 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid

The engine doesn't build up any pressure at the oil fill cap... it's basically there to keep the oil in and moisture out... although it may have been damaged while removing it.

This cap has a ratcheting top on it to keep you from overtightening it... this is probably what has become loose.

I'm having trouble picturing the 'small piece of plastic' you're talking about... any way you could post a picture?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. It's not at all easy to describe the situation in words. Here are some pictures that I hope will help. I have circled the "pieces of plastic" discussed. It's not the usual ratcheting cap that I'm used to, that's why it's confusing to me.

Unfortunately, the photos turned out a bit blurry, but I hope you can still see what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

It looks like those pictures may not have appeared successfully. I have placed an album in my profile entitled "cmgast's oil cap pictures" that should hopefully help.

Thanks again,

Chris

Old 12-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Just as I suspected, you took off the filler neck, or extension tube.
That is normally not supposed to come off at all.

I would recommend you get the car warm, and use some kind of plastic compatible epoxy, and maybe heat tolerant epoxy and just glue the thing back on.

You'll be fine with a $5 repair ( the tube of epoxy ).
You don't really don't need a costly replacement.

HTH,
-John

Old 12-20-2008, 01:37 AM
Enthusiast

Interesting.....is the filler tube supposed to come off at all? It has a nice rubber seal and everything, as if it is made to come off.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:24 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

It is supposed to come off only if you break it and need a new one.

Mine has never come off in 4 years and many oil changes.