Automatic starter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Easy Being Green
Question Automatic starter?

This may be a dumb question...but, I have no shame, so here goes.

Can you put an automatic car starter in a hybrid? My mom wants to get an auto starter installed in out FEH for Christmas. I assume if we could get one, it would be best to get the dealer to put it in? Any advice would be appreciated!

thanks!

Old 12-03-2007, 02:33 PM
N/A
Default Re: Automatic starter?

You mean a remote starter. Ford doesn't offer it for this vehicle.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone has done this and if they've found it useful. I wonder if those FEH owners who crave the maximum MPG would be horrified to see an FEH idling with no one at the wheel.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would expect that an engine block heater might be a better option as it would allow almost immediate hot air out of the vents and it's definitely supported by the dealer (plus it's probably a greener option and might even help increase winter MPG).

She may like the heated seats as well.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Don't think it's feasible. The engine starts from the high voltage battery, not the standard 12V engine battery that we have been used to forever. This is different technology. Remote starters were not designed to work with this technology. That's not to say that a remote starter couldn't be designed to talk to the onboard CAN, generate the proper commands to enable all the requisites, and command the HV Battery to start the engine. But, as Chris suggested in an earlier post, a running FEH w/o a driver would be a horrible sight -> Once you start the engine, you MOVE I don't think there will be a demand for this in the hybrid/FE community IMHO.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't do many remote starters but I have alot of friends who put them in hybrids all the time, if there is a real need I'm sure it can be done, we have alot of smart people in the aftermarket electronics world If someone in a specific part of the country wants one let me know, I'll put the feelers out and find a shop in your area who's capable.

Old 12-04-2007, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mtberman
I wonder if those FEH owners who crave the maximum MPG would be horrified to see an FEH idling with no one at the wheel.
I am one of those.

It is just a waste of gas, and why own a hybrid if you like wasting gas?

Then again, I am horrified when I see another FEH/MMH on the highway and the driver is driving it in "binary" mode (alternating constantly between the gas pedal to the floor with the brake pedal to the floor).

Old 12-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Easy Being Green

I hear you all on the fact that a remote starter is a big waste of gas. The reason why my mom wants to get it for me is that I am pregnant and she doesn't want me to be cold during the long New England winter.
I thought that was sweet of her.

As for the heated seats, that's a no-no when you are pregnant as it can raise your core body temperature and may be harmful to the baby.

Thanks to all for your input!

Old 12-04-2007, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

I got a remote start from my Dealer when I got mine. IT works fine. It starts it right up and idles around 1500 rpm for 5 mins. after wich it turns off. but i go in and turn the key and with no problem. It has safty cut offs etc.

I think it's benifical, But if you get it make sure you set your heat / ac functions before you decide to use it otherwise your not heating the cabin..

I have mine set for auto at 75 =)

Old 12-04-2007, 09:40 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Get the ENGINE BLOCK HEATER INSTEAD.

If you park in a garage out of the wind, you can have an 85'F engine ( and 85'F hot air to the cabin ) on a 0'F day before you turn the key.

Or you can have 100'F engine and air if you park at 40'F.

Parking outdoors you will probably get 65'F from the start, and hot, 100'F air within 2 minutes of starting the engine.

Check your electric bill for price per kW.
You need about 2 kW a night, which will cost about 20 cents in most areas.

Originally Posted by MyPart
I would expect that an engine block heater might be a better option as it would allow almost immediate hot air out of the vents and it's definitely supported by the dealer (plus it's probably a greener option and might even help increase winter MPG).

She may like the heated seats as well.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:52 AM
2008 Escape Hybrid Owner

A remote start should be easy, since the FEH already does a controlled start sequence. I expect it could even be done with a garage door opener!!!

Quick Reply: Automatic starter?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands