Battery and charging questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 06:16 AM
Imported from Detroit
Default Re: Battery and charging questions

They should have a latching type relay or something compared to what's used in a battery operated valve configuration for low power consumption.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:06 AM
Newbie Enthusiast

Originally Posted by travelover
You would only drain the 12 volt battery, but if the 12 volt battery is too dead, you cannot simply do a key-on to charge it from the 330 volt battery.
What's this key-on method for charging? My FEH has died several times over the years (from my forgetting to turn the lights off). I just start it the regular way with jumper cables between my 12v and another car. Is there another way?

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2015, 04:38 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by deprotinator
What's this key-on method for charging? My FEH has died several times over the years (from my forgetting to turn the lights off). I just start it the regular way with jumper cables between my 12v and another car. Is there another way?

Thanks!
If the battery is low, but not dead, one can turn the key to the on position and the 330 volt battery will charge the 12 volt battery. If the 12 volt battery is too discharged, however, you need to do a standard jump start.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:45 PM
Newbie Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that next time...hopefully there won't be one.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually a few factors are present here: The relay doesn't draw a large sustained current, neither does the hybrid transaxle windings that act as a starter, BUT they have a very high "instantaneous" load, AND the characteristics of the lead-acid battery to deliver that energy with a voltage not dropping below that critical value for the proper relay coil/armature action, are limited. The discharge characteristics and instantaneous supply capabilities of the NiMH traction battery are much different, but aren't part of the starting and control circuitry.

That battery probably wasn't trash, but it might have been time for repl. anyhow. I've jumped many times no prob. Once again I'm irritated with the "running scared" engineering decisions made by Ford, not just in the beginning, but throughout the life of the FEH. I do not get decent utilization of MY traction battery. Should have been plug-in hybrid too.