Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Recently had to replace the MECS pump and thought all was well until I discovered that the car would not go into EV mode once the car warmed up. Back to the mechanic, who got a trouble code indicating failure of the battery cooling fan.

This is a very expensive repair, on top of another very expensive repair, unless it's covered under the extended EV component warranty. Mechanic was not able to find out about the warranty today because Ford's computer systems were down.

So, is it covered under the 8 year warranty, or not? I'll know tomorrow, but will sleep better (or worse) if I know tonight.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

This item is inside the 330V battery pack and should be covered.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mojos Mom
Recently had to replace the MECS pump and thought all was well until I discovered that the car would not go into EV mode once the car warmed up. Back to the mechanic, who got a trouble code indicating failure of the battery cooling fan.

This is a very expensive repair, on top of another very expensive repair, unless it's covered under the extended EV component warranty. Mechanic was not able to find out about the warranty today because Ford's computer systems were down.

So, is it covered under the 8 year warranty, or not? I'll know tomorrow, but will sleep better (or worse) if I know tonight.
The battery fans are part of the battery 8yr/100,000 mile warranty and Ford must replace the fans or the battery if you meet those requirements. If you and your vehicle is from a green State the warranty is 10 yrs/150,000 miles and could be enforced under state law I'm pretty sure.

GaryG

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast

Whew! Thanks, I'll sleep MUCH better...

Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Okay, here's my update:

The actual DTC was P0A81, which takes you to TSB 09-17-7, which calls for part number FM6010C659A, all this according to my mechanic.

Ford's on-line system has been down for the last couple of days, but the dealership tells my mechanic this is not covered by warranty. Grand news. The repair will run well over $500.00 and that's after the $700 I just spent on the MECS pump.

I just bought a new car, and I just want to get this thing fixed so I can SELL it!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mojos Mom
Okay, here's my update:

The actual DTC was P0A81, which takes you to TSB 09-17-7, which calls for part number FM6010C659A, all this according to my mechanic.

Ford's on-line system has been down for the last couple of days, but the dealership tells my mechanic this is not covered by warranty. Grand news. The repair will run well over $500.00 and that's after the $700 I just spent on the MECS pump.

I just bought a new car, and I just want to get this thing fixed so I can SELL it!
That's BS! That is the DTC for cooling fan 1 and is part of the HV battery and warranty. The dealership ripped you off already charging $700 dollars for replacing the MECS pump that was most likely good. I'd be on the phone to Ford and start documenting this in writing. Sounds like the dealer wants to collect the warranty money from Ford and soak you also. If Ford is behind denying the warranty, I and many here will start spreading the word about Ford's warranty lies and stop buying their hybrids. Once the news media gets word of this, Ford is toast.

The Ford Workshop Manual states that if the fan stops working the entire battery must be replaced. I'd start demanding a new battery if Ford is a part of this. Time to start playing hardball!

Let us know what Ford says because I'm serious about lighting up the internet about this issue so tell them to see this post if they think I'm kidding. I have two FEHs and I bought both because of the battery, eCVT and the DC/DC converter warranties. As you can see, you got two fast responses that this is covered by the warranty by me and BillyK. Keep us posted.

GaryG

Old 07-24-2010, 05:27 PM
Enthusiast

I just had the fans replaced in my battery. It was not covered under the hybrid warranty but was covered under my extended warranty. I had them double check and fans are not part of hybrid system according to Ford.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Ford DEALERS are stupid, as in not educated about the hybrids.
They see so few hybrids at all, much less something as specific as a battery fan.

I am 100% positive the battery fans are covered for 8 yr, 100,000 miles in all states, and 10 years, 150,000 miles in the states that follow CA rules and I think 8 states do.

DO NOT pay for battery fans if you are under the warranty duration.

The battery is for sure covered, the fans are inside the battery, and dealers are not supposed to even open the battery. It is supposed to be replaced as a whole unit, and sent to be refurbished at some central location.

They could have changed the rules about letting local dealers open the battery pack, but they are not allowed by law to change the rules of the warranty. You should have this is writing somewhere. Parts EXTERNAL to the battery such as wires and the air conditioning are NOT covered.

Everything inside the "shell" of the battery is. 100% sure on this.
Your dealer may not be crooked, just stupid but someone higher up should get you this repair at no cost. Else, we can have a class-action law suit here.

Unless you have a "salvage" title.

Last edited by gpsman1; 07-24-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: P.S. Unless the car has a "salvage" title ( been in an accident ) then all warranties are Void.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

I'm ready to start fighting this on Monday morning. I was irritated enough that the MECS pump was not covered, since it is not found on any other vehicle than the hybrid, but this fan not being covered is ridiculous.

My car is currently at an independent mechanic's shop, and perhaps I had better move it to the dealership to fight this battle. The mechanic who has it has been trying to get an answer from Ford on this new problem, but the computers at Ford have been down for the last couple of days. It was the service advisor at the dealership who told my mechanic that this would not be covered by the warranty.

Monday morning I will call the very sharp hybrid certified mechanic who used to work at my Ford dealership but moved recently to another dealership that is too far away. He was always on top of this stuff and he will know whether or not Ford will cover this.

Additionally, I'm going to be on the phone to both the dealership and to Ford, and I won't give up until I get this sorted out.

The MECS pump probably was bad. Both the Ford dealer and the independent mechanic (who goes way back with us, and I trust him implicitly) agreed that the trouble code was for the MECS pump originally, and I notice that since the MECS pump was replaced, the air conditioning is once again blowing very cold air, which it was not before. Also, I don't get the motor overheat light anymore on the dashboard. I'm guessing the two failures were related, but I don't doubt that there have been two failures.

Seems to me I should get a new battery out of this, but I'll settle for the fan.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

I found a copy of the 2010 Ford Hybrid warranty book (mine for my 2005 is in my car, which is in the shop) and it reads as follows:

(4) Your vehicle’s unique components are covered during the Hybrid
Vehicle Unique Component Coverage, which lasts for eight years or 100,000
miles, whichever occurs first. The following parts are covered during this
extended coverage period: high-voltage battery, continuously variable
transmission and the DC/DC converter. In addition, the high-voltage battery
connector, fan assembly, thermister probe, hybrid battery pack sensor
module (HBPSM), and the battery energy control module (BECM) are
covered for the Fusion Hybrid and the Milan Hybrid only.

So, did you get that? The only parts covered on my car are the battery, the CVT and the Dc/DC converter. The fan will not be covered, but would be on a Fusion or Milan (what the heck is the Milan). Isn't that sweet.

Quick Reply: Battery Cooling Fan Failure: Warranty or Not?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands