battery/door actuator/smart junction box

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default battery/door actuator/smart junction box

Hi, I have a Ford Escape Hybrid 08. The battery went dead, and at the same time, the driver door lock stopped working electronically from the key fob.

The dealer said the battery was fine, and said the problem was that the door actuator needed to be replaced. About $500.

The dealer replaced the door actuator, and said there is still a problem, the smart junction box needs to be replaced. Another $500.

How does this sound to you? Why didn't the dealer find the smart junction box problem in the first place? Do you think that both really needed to be replaced? I wonder if the door actuator really needed to be replaced. The dealer says that the problem in the smart function box led to a short in the door actuator, requiring its replacement too.

Advice welcomed.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: battery/door actuator/smart junction box

Originally Posted by tim1234
Hi, I have a Ford Escape Hybrid 08. The battery went dead, and at the same time, the driver door lock stopped working electronically from the key fob.

The dealer said the battery was fine, and said the problem was that the door actuator needed to be replaced. About $500.

The dealer replaced the door actuator, and said there is still a problem, the smart junction box needs to be replaced. Another $500.

How does this sound to you? Why didn't the dealer find the smart junction box problem in the first place? Do you think that both really needed to be replaced? I wonder if the door actuator really needed to be replaced. The dealer says that the problem in the smart function box led to a short in the door actuator, requiring its replacement too.

Advice welcomed.

Same thing happened to me. The dealer charged me 800 for the fix. Battery went dead and the junction box and power door locks died.

Dealer said it just happens from low voltage... Can't wait to get a new battery again in a couple years.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hack
Same thing happened to me. The dealer charged me 800 for the fix. Battery went dead and the junction box and power door locks died.

Dealer said it just happens from low voltage... Can't wait to get a new battery again in a couple years.
So you had BOTH replaced too, door actuator and smart junction box? The battery is a year old and dealer says the battery is fine, no need to get a warranty replacement. I did have the car switched off for 3 days, so it must have been draining. But the dealer says the CAUSE is the smart junction box. What do you think?

Last edited by tim1234; 06-07-2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Enthusiast

That's what my dealer said too. They said the low voltage from my dying battery caused the malfunction. Seemed sketchy that low voltage would do the damage, and it was not under warranty. I asked how am I supposed to prevent this from happening the next time my battery goes out on me... No real answer. I called ford, this was back in early 08, they wanted nothing to do with me. They did not have it in their operating budget to offer me any deals.

It works fine, but you need to reprogram both of your remote door lock key chain devices. Bring them both to the dealer and tell them to do it for you.