Best Tires for the Escape Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast
Question Best Tires for the Escape Hybrid

I have a 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid with the original Continental Eco Trac tires. It's time to replace them, so I through I'd ask: What's the highest quality tire that will help get the most gas mileage? At only 20K miles, the Continentals seem to have worn through to quickly.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Best Tires for the Escape Hybrid

How did you get only 20,000 miles out of the EcoPlus tires? Mine have over 25,000 and have well over 1/2 of its "tread-life" left. I know because I had to have a nail pulled from one of mine and a plug installed - so I had a chance to inspect one real close.

From other threads on this forum, its seems that tire choice depends on the personal experience of each driver in their FEH. Selection seems to be a trade off between FE, road noise, cushioning, and all weather traction.....
.....I've heard why many have switched for various reasons but it appears that the LRR, hybrid design specific Contitrac EcoPlus are a great choice if FE is one's top priority. Bound to be some other opinions......

Last edited by glennb; 12-22-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best Tires for the Escape Hybrid

Are your tires "EcoPlus" as the stock OEM tires for your Hybrid?
If they are worn at 20,000 miles, then you need to check your 4 wheel alignment as some of the well known posters have near and over 50,000 miles. Some reports of over 80,000 miles!

As for your question on replacement tires that get the most gas mileage? Well, the EcoPlus tires are low rolling resistance tires designed to improve on your mileage. I can't answer what type of mileage hit one experiences when they use "other" tires as I only have a 10 day experience in running my Goodyear Triple Tread tires (my winter tires!). Maybe some of other posters who have experience with other tires can fill you in. Maybe you need to let us know the general area you live--does it get snow several months of the year?--in an attempt to help with your question.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

Hey. Thanks for the replies. Yes, they are the original. We bought it used so I don't know how the first driver handled the vehicle. We're in Los Angeles, so other than a rain shower 3 or 4 times a year, it's dry driving.

Seems like ti tire sites donlt talk much about low rolling resistance when comparing tires. Any resources out there folks know of to compare?

Thanks for the insight.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:33 AM

I replaced the Eco Plus tires on my 06 FEH with 255/18 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's which are not a "low rolling resistance" tire.

I wondered at the time if I would take a drastic hit in the mpg department. That has not been the case however. My mpg did drop slightly, but it has never been more than maybe 1-1 1/2 mpg.

The difference in noise & ride quality is night & day however. The truck feels like a completely different vehicle. My Wife immediately noticed the reduction in road noise & increase in ride quality & I hadn't told her that I had switched the tires/wheels.

The new tires also work MUCH better in Winter conditions, I would make the swap again in a heart beat.

~John

Old 12-22-2007, 07:18 AM

How about this setup a girl w/ an 08 Mariner (not MMH) did over on escape-central.com:

I have an 08 mariner and my boyfriend and I recently did a 3" suspension lift paired with 31"x10" Irok ND Tires on 16" Sport Max Racing rims... The tires definitely give it a more aggressive look but its nothing over the top.. I love it... Take a look...

Sorry I can't input as I only have 7k on my orignial EcoPlus'es. And MAybe they are different, or more insulation in the 08's, but I don't notice any road noise w/them! When the time comes, I'll eiter get the same or maybe CrossContact LX's...

Old 12-22-2007, 07:23 AM

I doubt that lifting a hybrid and putting on overaggressive tires makes a lot of sense. If one wants true off roading capabilities, then the hybrid Ford-Toyota-Lexus-Saturn SUV is not really what you need.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
How about this setup a girl w/ an 08 Mariner (not MMH) did over on escape-central.com:

Sorry I can't input as I only have 7k on my orignial EcoPlus'es. And MAybe they are different, or more insulation in the 08's, but I don't notice any road noise w/them! When the time comes, I'll eiter get the same or maybe CrossContact LX's...
That setup looks tough, but I doubt it will help in the mpg area....

As far as tire road noise, I didn't really notice it either when I was running the ECO Plus. It wasn't until I removed them that I noticed how loud they really where. My truck got so much quieter after the swap that is was amazing.....

~John

Old 12-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Here are some sugestions

http://www.greenseal.org/resources/r...resistance.pdf