Bike Racks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default Bike Racks?

This weekend I tried to install a Yakima "Super Joe 2" bike rack that is supposed to hang off of the back of the escape. Unfortunately, as I was reading the instructions, there was a note stating that the rack was too heavy for the escape.

If you have a bike rack--what do you have? I'm specifically looking for something to ride behind the truck and not on top--The majority of time I park in a parking garage and that's typically not conducive to having a bike hanging off the top.

Thanks!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bike Racks?

Originally Posted by dcarp
This weekend I tried to install a Yakima "Super Joe 2" bike rack that is supposed to hang off of the back of the escape. Unfortunately, as I was reading the instructions, there was a note stating that the rack was too heavy for the escape.

If you have a bike rack--what do you have? I'm specifically looking for something to ride behind the truck and not on top--The majority of time I park in a parking garage and that's typically not conducive to having a bike hanging off the top.

Thanks!
The "Super Joe 2" is the type of rack that hangs off the back of the vehicle and is secured by straps. Probably the liftgate on the Escape is too vertical to support the rack the way a conventional trunk lid would.

If you can't use a roof rack, then your best bet is adding a hitch and using a Yakima hitch mount rack. You can also carry bikes inside the Escape by removing the front wheel and using a fork mount to hold the bikes upright.

Personally, I use a Yakima roof rack for the bikes. It reduces the mileage some when in use, but for the 99% of the time that I don't need it, it all comes off and adds no weight or drag.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've never seen a hatch/trunk rack that I thought was acceptable (and I've owned three of them). It's a little more money but the hitch based rack (preferably folding) concept is so much more stable, easy to use and flexible, there is really no comparison.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm using a roof rack too, but it is significantly harder to use than my HCH rack or the rack on my old Outback due to the height of the MMH roof. Granted, I ride a 43 pound freeride bike so it's a lot heavier than a road bike or a normal mountain bike.

I will eventually buy a trailer hitch mount style rack for ease of use and highway mpg (there is very little mileage impact for a roof rack at "city" speeds). My favorite hitch mounts are the Thules with the hook that goes over the front tire--they are easy to use and hold even heavy bikes very solidy. The "Car and Biker" subforum of www.mtbr.com is a good resource for information on racks.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys! I actually consulted with REI today and found one of the back versions from Yakima called the King Joe. I'm going to check it out tonight or tomorrow.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

According to their online fitment guide, Thule Speedway trunk racks fit Escape.
I have one, but have not used it on the SUV. It was stable enough for hauling one mtn bike up and down the Santa Cruz mountain twisties on the back of a coupe. I know that they are not as stable as a roof or hitch rack, but it is more versatile (fits on all my cars) and inexpensive.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Bike Racks?

I have a Class III hitch with a 2" receiver. I use this:
http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-rac.../holdup-2.aspx
to carry two bikes. I can even open the tailgate with the rack in the stowed (upright) position.