Blend Door Actuator - Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:29 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Blend Door Actuator - Again

Last week I got a wrench light three times, always at night. The lights went out after an engine restart. I took the 2008 AWD FEH in and the dealer replaced the "Blend Door Actuator", which I believe is the part that causes the battery vent door to open. That is the 2nd time in a year it has been replaced.

SG did not report a code; the dealer invoice indicated code 1239. I expect it can only be read via the SJB.

I'm still covered by my factory warranty, and in any case if it happens within a year, a failure like this is covered by the Ford parts warranty, but I'm wondering if other people have had this issue?

Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Blend Door Actuator - Again

I might have had a similar issue as you about 6000 miles ago.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-needed-21583/

Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Blend Door Actuator - Again

I have an '07 FEH with about 42K miles (just out of warranty of course) and the orange wrench with 'Service Soon' info is appearing. It's has been coming on intermittently over the last several weeks. I took it to the Ford dealer earlier, but the orange wrench was not on at the time, and they could not get any sort of code. This morning on my way to work, it came on again and I was close enough to the dealer to take it in.

Dealer's mechanics were apparently having some difficulty diagnosing problem but eventually determined it was the "Motor Blend Door" problem that has been well documented on this forum. Anyway, to make a long story short, the dealer wants $533 to make this repair, which I think is excessive. Dealer says it's 3+ hours of labor, $35 for the part, and about $100 for the diagnostic charge.

I called another local Ford dealer and was quoted a similar price.

So what do you think??

Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Leslie K
I have an '07 FEH with about 42K miles (just out of warranty of course) and the orange wrench with 'Service Soon' info is appearing. It's has been coming on intermittently over the last several weeks. I took it to the Ford dealer earlier, but the orange wrench was not on at the time, and they could not get any sort of code. This morning on my way to work, it came on again and I was close enough to the dealer to take it in.

Dealer's mechanics were apparently having some difficulty diagnosing problem but eventually determined it was the "Motor Blend Door" problem that has been well documented on this forum. Anyway, to make a long story short, the dealer wants $533 to make this repair, which I think is excessive. Dealer says it's 3+ hours of labor, $35 for the part, and about $100 for the diagnostic charge.

So what do you think??
Just doing some match, $533-35 (cost of the part) = 498 - $100 diag fee = $398. They want $398 for 3 hours of labor? Thats $133/hour. I'd find a shop that will do repairs for $60/hour (or so). That is excessive.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Leslie K

So what do you think??
Sorry, mine was covered under warranty, so the prices were zeroed out on my invoice.

Remember though that you have a 1 year warranty on Ford dealer repairs with Ford parts, so if you have the dealer replace it there is some coverage there. I mention it because mine failed within a year of being installed. If I had not been under factory warranty it would have been covered anyway.

Man, I'm hoping these things don't fail that often...

Old 12-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I might have had a similar issue as you about 6000 miles ago.

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-needed-21583/
I'm not sure. Mine was marked as the "Blend Door Actuator", which to me means that it was a part that tells the motor to open the door, rather than the motor itself. But I could be wrong (wouldn't be the first time)!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Imported from Detroit

A thread about reading the blend door DTC with a SG-II: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...warning-18268/

Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 AM

I've had my wrench light with a service soon message come on many times during the last 30,000 miles on my '05 FEH. Most of the time it will clear after the key switch has cycled but it has stayed on after a number of times and even a few days. It may even go a few months without a wrench light and it seems when I use heavy regen and EV driving I see it more. As long as I don't see any problems associated with the wrench light or it does not clear, I won't get it replaced or repair it myself. I have about 63,000 miles on my '05 now and it runs great except for the loss of power and gas mileage from E10.

GaryG

Old 12-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

Its not that hard to change out this motor. Warranty time from Ford is 1.1 hrs but this does not include diagnosis or reflash. All that you have to do is remove the plastic ducting where the little filter in the back goes and its right in that area. Reflash is not necessary and diagnosis is well reading the code.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by wptski
A thread about reading the blend door DTC with a SG-II: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...warning-18268/
Thanks, I'm going to program my SG when I get the chance. Hopefully I won't see this error any time soon!

Quick Reply: Blend Door Actuator - Again

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands