Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:01 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

I would like to get something more protective than the Bug Shield for the front paint, before I take any long trips on the freeway. The only thing available at this point seems (08s) to be the 3M "invisible film", that will be expensive and/or difficult to apply. Anyone know of anything coming up for the 2008s?

Old 08-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

Originally Posted by leoashton
I would like to get something more protective than the Bug Shield for the front paint, before I take any long trips on the freeway. The only thing available at this point seems (08s) to be the 3M "invisible film", that will be expensive and/or difficult to apply. Anyone know of anything coming up for the 2008s?

I've been looking for a bra for my 2008 MMH. I've been told that it's "too early in the model year". Not sure how long it takes but the 2008 MMH was introduced in February of this year. Anyway, all the suppliers I contacted (LeBra & Covercraft) said to call back in Sept. or October.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

IMHO the bras do more harm than good.

Every single vehicle I have ever seen that was running one had paint damage under the bra.........

~John

Old 08-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, I have seen quite a few damaged front ends from Bras that were left on after rains, or not properly taken care of. I think most people don't want to go through all the trouble of cleaning the mask after use, and making sure the front end is clean before putting it on, not to mention just using one on a temporary basis, not leaving it on all the time. You also need to get one that has a good fit. My wife's Beetle is 7 years old and the front end doesn't have a scratch on it, nor any chipped paint because of the Perfect Fit Bra we bought and use only for Freeway driving (long trips.)

So basically, if you are obsessive about it, a bra/mask can work well. I guess I will keep looking with an eye towards Sept/Oct. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10

Every single vehicle I have ever seen that was running one had paint damage under the bra.........
My experiences has been the complete opposite.

Not any paint damage, at all, under any of the front-end bras.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Enthusiast

I've been towing cars for over 10 years now and have had bras on all of them. The key to minimizing any paint damage is to keep the area under the bra clean of debris. I take off the bras about once a year and give the area a good cleaning. Sometimes a few scratches will apreared which can be rubbed out with rubbing compound.

All in all, I've been very pleased with the protection that bras provide and believe that they cause miminal paint damage if properly maintained.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Enthusiast

How about a clear bra setup like this one:
http://motors.search.ebay.com/220099...romZR40QQfviZ1

Old 08-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Enthusiast

I have a full wrap on the front end of my 08 MMH and it is PERFECT. Includes the painted side mirrors, U-shape grill, full bumper, hood and side fenders, the headlamps and fog lights. Materials are available at most shops or at clearmask.com.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yea, as I said in my initial post I was trying to stay away from the 3M film and would like to find a "temporary" mask that would only be used when necessary (like long freeway trips across state.)

However- IceBlueMariner please tell us what the install experience was like with your clearmask though. How long did it take, how difficult, and how noticeable is the film on the car?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

I looked at doing myself, but determined I didn't have the patience to do it myself. The film is virtually invisible. All you see is the edge of the film, and that's if your looking for it! Otherwise you cannot tell. I paid $550 for full front mask and mirrors on 08 MMH, another $75 for headlights, fog lights and rear bumper splash area. 3M certified installer--it's flawless. Clearmask.com has some great info on degree of difficulty on the website, or call them. Good guys. They send you all tools needed and a video DVD install guide with the order.

I understand the bra may be an inexpensive way--and you may not feel like you need 365 protection, but I've found that typically the day after I'd remove the bra, I'd have reason to take the highway and bam- some hauler kicks up stones. To me the mask is the best way to go--saves time and damage in the long run--especially if you plan to keep the vehicle for awhile.

Quick Reply: Bra/Mask Front Paint Protection

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands