Brake fluid flush interval

Old 04-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Brake fluid flush interval

How often should the brake fluid be flushed? My dealer says I should do it and I have 32k miles on my FEH. They estimate the flush will cost $140. Is that reasonable?

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake fluid flush interval

IF you trust your dealer then $140 isn't a bad price to flush the fluid....but

When does Ford recommend flushing the fluid? That is a rhetorical question......the dealer is trying to make a few bucks off you with needless maintenance.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

The manual doesn't say, which is why I'm asking.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree with Jason. Unless there are extenuating circumstances I wouldn't do any maintenance that's not prescribed in the owners manual.

Can the dealer give you a good reason or Ford documentation regarding the flush? Are you experiencing any braking issues (other than maybe the squeak that others talk about which appears to be a different issue)? Do you live in the mountains and do long heavy braking? Obviously you're not pulling heavy loads so extreme duty on that end is out.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Pragmatist

Race cars and heavy trucks need brake fluid changed periodically. Any vehicle might need its brake fluid changed if it gets contaminated. Water is a frequent contaminant. In normal usage, automobiles shouldn't need it changed. Hybrids that get most of their braking from electric motor/generators, and that hardly ever actually use the mechanical brakes, really shouldn't need the fluid changed.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

They claim it's dark. We don't do anything unusual and I'm not sure how water would get in to contaminate the fluid.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

So I just checked and the fluid looks pretty clear to me.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

I have driven cars over 300,000 miles with out changing the fluid. The only time you really need to is if it gets moisture in it, a line breaks, master goes bad, caliper replacement..... OR if you over heat the breaks. Some times I will just take a turkey baster and suck out some and replace if I drive really hard.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Brake fluid flush interval

Ford has a "normal operation" service schedule and a different schedule for "special operating" which includes taxis, delivery, limos, lots of towing, dusty conditions, etc. Brake fluid flush and replacement is not called for in any of these schedules that go up to 150,000 miles. While lots of other fluids (ATF, transfer cases, axle lube, etc.) are specifically called for change out.

Here is the "normal" hybrid schedule (attached)

Having said that, I suspect the FEH brake fluid does get cycled as much or more than non-hybrid fluid. The pressurization of the system everytime the car door is opened, for instance. I think the contribution of the regen system to braking is sometimes overstated. The friction brakes are used everytime the FEH comes to a complete stop and contribute significantly in almost every instance of medium to hard braking (hyper-miling techniques not withstanding).

At 32,000 miles and absent any contamination, I think your dealer is looking to maximize his service sales. Have them breakdown the quote for you - I would say 1 hour of labor (1.5 tops) and a quart of brake fluid plus the miscellaneous shop supplies charge. [Labor rate must be approaching $100/hr to get to $140!] They may have some fancy (unnecessary "flushing kit" charge.

From some of the reports on some of the forums, minor issues with the brake hydraulics (master cylinder) which would be a small nuisance and quick fix on a non-regen system....turned into major issues on the FEH because the PCM shuts the vehicle down and the brake-by-wire system essentially disables operation of the FEH - requiring a lengthy diagnosis process. I believe these cases have been rare but have been emotionally reported because.....you can't operate the FEH and "brake issues" are scarey because of the safety concern.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by glennb; 04-05-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Brakes are one of those items that are hard to make a schedule for and is much better to find an honest mechanic to check things and let you know when it really needs to be done. Better still, learn how to judge the fluid yourself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake fluid flush interval

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands