Brake Repairs / Costs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:10 AM
Un-Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake Repairs / Costs

Originally Posted by MyPart
First off, stopping while the gear selector is in Neutral canceles any regenerative braking. If this issue is only happening when you are in Drive or Low then it could very well be a eCVT transmission or other hybrid specific braking issue.

The eCVT transmission carries a 8yr/100,000mi warranty (10yr/150,000mi if you live in a "Green State" including CA, ME, MA, NY and VT). You're certainly under the 8yr mark but you didn't mention your mileage so hopefully your under 100,000/150,000mi. If you are in fact under 100,000/150,000mi then you should probably let the dealer have a look at what's causing the warning/traction light to come on. Don't forget to mention that it doesn't happen when you stop in Neutral.
Thanks for the advice. With what has been going on with the car, I assume some how this will not fall under warranty, but I am going to have to take it to a dealer anyway for something like this... I am at 72,000 miles.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Un-Enthusiast

OK, finally got it to the dealor and they said it was the "exciter ring" on the ABS? What is that? $339 parts and labor.

The repair costs keep adding up on this car...Over $1000 this year, $800 last year. Does not count normal stuff, like new tires, brakes, rotors, and oil.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

RE: "exciter ring"

There is a toothed ring on the wheel by which the ABS senses the rotation of the wheel. This enables the ABS to sense when lockup is about to occur. I wouldn't expect the ring to be too pricey but not cheap. The labor to install it at least requires pulling the wheel and probably the brakes & disc to get to it.

I still find a faulty "exciter ring" to be extraordinary... unless you had an accident that damaged the wheel, brakes, & such. There's just no wear & tear on this item in normal use.

This isn't a hybrid component, but if there's any chance your car is still under the rest of the car warranty tell the dealer that you want it covered (unless you did have damage to that wheel).

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Un-Enthusiast

My car has 77,000 miles, so no warranty except the Hybrid component.

Couple this with the leaking refrigerant last summer and the coolant pump a few months ago and it is safe to say my wife will be pissed if I buy American next time. She and her parents drive Hondas, but I have never owned anything put Ford, GM, or Chrysler and I really do not want to change that, but I have to keep peace. If I buy another car and it ends up in the garage for anything beyond routine the first 100k miles, I will hear about if forever...

Another thing, with my experience with two Ford dealership service departments, it will not surprise me if this repair they do today does not fix the problem. Not that I know much about cars, but it seems like all they do is what the computer tells them (or the guess what the computer data is telline them). Would not surprise me in this case that the traction warning light may have been a result of something else and not the actual point of problem with the FEH. Ort maybe the originating problem caused this excitor ring (sounds kinky )to break.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by EagleFan89
My car has 77,000 miles, so no warranty except the Hybrid component.

Couple this with the leaking refrigerant last summer and the coolant pump a few months ago and it is safe to say my wife will be pissed if I buy American next time. She and her parents drive Hondas, but I have never owned anything put Ford, GM, or Chrysler and I really do not want to change that, but I have to keep peace. If I buy another car and it ends up in the garage for anything beyond routine the first 100k miles, I will hear about if forever...

Another thing, with my experience with two Ford dealership service departments, it will not surprise me if this repair they do today does not fix the problem. Not that I know much about cars, but it seems like all they do is what the computer tells them (or the guess what the computer data is telline them). Would not surprise me in this case that the traction warning light may have been a result of something else and not the actual point of problem with the FEH. Ort maybe the originating problem caused this excitor ring (sounds kinky )to break.
Traction warning light or do you mean ABS light?

I asked because it has been established in other threads that up to the '09 model year the FEH didn't have traction control.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Un-Enthusiast

It's a light with a car and squiggly lines below it. The ABS light actually says ABS and was not coming on.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 PM
Imported from Detroit

It's a light with a car and squiggly lines below it. The ABS light actually says ABS and was not coming on.
Yes, that's traction control for sure! Do you have a switch to turn it off? Maybe somebody has this all wrong as it was thought that if you don't have a switch to turn it OFF, you don't have traction control but that might be all wrong. The '09 FE/FEH have a switch.

I surprised that nobody here that claim how good a FEH is the snow has never seen the traction control dash icon come ON when its enabled!!

Last edited by wptski; 07-21-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Un-Enthusiast

No switch. I'll check the Owners manual.

I will say that I have driven through 4 Cleveland winters an have only seen the light a few times. Then again I am pretty cautius on snow/ice even in a 4x4 SUV.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Imported from Detroit

No switch. I'll check the Owners manual.

I will say that I have driven through 4 Cleveland winters an have only seen the light a few times. Then again I am pretty cautius on snow/ice even in a 4x4 SUV.
Try looking at this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...38/index7.html starting on Page #7 or Post #61 about TC on a FEH.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

From my '07 manual that symbol is

"ABS active/Traction control active (if equipped): Flashes when the ABS system is active. If the light remains on, have the system serviced immediately..."

So it's being on more likely indicates an ABS fault, not a traction control fault.

Quick Reply: Brake Repairs / Costs

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands