buying process

Old 09-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default buying process

What did those who purchased an Escape Hybrid think of the buying process? Did you pay the MSRP? Did anyone end up paying more - or less? I am close to entering the purchasing phase now that I've decided which features and color I want...

Old 09-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: buying process

I paid MSRP. I got a quote from the dealer's internet sales dept. first through forddirect.com. When I walked in, they told me a price $2000 over MSRP, but I told them about my price quote and that was that. Mine was on the lot and it had the features I wanted so I was lucky. Drove it home that day. Got 4 free oil changes and 2 tanks of gas too.

What soured the process was the finance manager who swooped in after the sale (I paid cash so my salesman tried to get me out the door without talking to him, but he caught me). This guy was a real pain in the a** trying to sell me all kinds of extra stuff. I played with him a little bit because I knew more than he did about the Hybrid warranty and other things so it was fun for a little while making him look foolish, but he kept on with his tactics which were basically to make the customer feel stupid for not buying all his crap.

Otherwise it was OK. I do wish the dealer had at least a small clue about the Hybrid though. They knew nothing!! You may have a little better experience now that they've had a year to get up to speed, but don't count on it.

Good luck!

Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well under MSRP - twice.....

The second one I bought right off the truck.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Paid invoice. Dealer had 5 FEH's on the lot after a fleet sale went south. It had all the bells & whistles that I wanted. Dealer also was on the high end $$$ on trade in, and I got really cheap financing (3.5%) from a regional bank. Had to drive 8 hrs to get the car in upstate NY, but Fords can be serviced at any dealer whose service guys went through FEH training. Purchased it 11/04.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:15 PM

I was offered MSRP at the dealership I was haggling with. The dealer wouldn't go any lower than that.

In the end, the deal wasn't made for other reasons (low trade-in, high APR on the financing). But the price on the car was fair for the area (northern NJ).

-Augie

Old 09-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's been a year and I don't remember the exact deal. To give you a rough idea, we (me and dealer) thought I would get it on either a supplier discount or family discount. The dealer was having problems confirming that Ford would offer it on that discount, but indicators were that Ford probably would (at that time.) The deal he offered was: If it is on X/Z plan, then you pay the plan price. If not, he'd sell it to me for a few hundred above dealer invoice. In the end, Ford decided NOT to make it available for X/Z plan pricing (I think it IS available for A plan pricing -- but that's Ford employees only, not their friends/family/suppliers).

I'm thinking I got about $1500 below MSRP.

Just in case you are worried about extended warranties: The car has a special warranty. Standard features of the car have the same 3yr/36,000mile warranty as all new Fords. But this car has a special warranty for "hybrid-specific-features". I think that's a 7yr/70,000miles (someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm citing this from what I learned over a year ago). So the 330v battery array, the regenerative brakes, the electric motor, the eCVT tranny, etc. all have the extra coverage.

Last edited by tcampb01; 09-29-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tcampb01
Just in case you are worried about extended warranties: The car has a special warranty. Standard features of the car have the same 3yr/36,000mile warranty as all new Fords. But this car has a special warranty for "hybrid-specific-features". I think that's a 7yr/70,000miles (someone correct me if I'm wrong, since I'm citing this from what I learned over a year ago). So the 330v battery array, the regenerative brakes, the electric motor, the eCVT tranny, etc. all have the extra coverage.
Except in Massachusetts where that Hybrid component warranty is 150,000 miles. Don't remember from the book what, if any, other states have that provision.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
Except in Massachusetts where that Hybrid component warranty is 150,000 miles. Don't remember from the book what, if any, other states have that provision.
All "green" states - California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York and Vermont. I think that's all of them.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Here in CO I actually found 2 dealers willing to offer x plan as well as schedule it for delivery just after the new year for the new tax incentives. I don't know if these dealers are eating the costs themselves or if corporate has had a change of heart, but I know i have a deposit down on one for myself.

My advice, check around.

Old 09-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I wanted to get an idea of what others were actually paying for this vehicle. I live in WA so I realize things may be different. I am not familiar with the x plan, however...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: buying process

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands