Can I Install Newer Factory Head Unit in 2008 FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can I Install Newer Factory Head Unit in 2008 FEH?

I have a 2008 FEH with the highest trim and audiophile package. While the factory stereo is nice enough, I *really* wish I had some of the features of the 2009 and newer factory head units with the sync service thing.

So I've been told to just install a nice after market headunit, but then I lose all the info about the hybrid system - and I really do like tracking my mileage and seeing the level of the traction battery, etc.

If I find a factory stereo from, say, a 2010 FEH, can I swap out the 2008 head unit? Will the 2010 head unit understand the hybrid system info from a 2008 vehicle?

Alternatively (long shot) are there any aftermarket systems that can provide feedback about the hybrid system?

Old 02-05-2016, 01:23 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can I Install Newer Factory Head Unit in 2008 FEH?

There are three scenarios for these things. One is that your FEH had a nav system and you need to replace it. That's the simplest case and requires only identifying the compatible system and getting one.

The second case is that your FEH never had a nav system and you want to install one like those equipped in that model year. This requires also obtaining a kit of additional parts (such as the gps aerial and face plate) and getting the wiring connected to the steering wheel buttons etc.

What you wish to do is even more difficult: install a nav unit from a different model year. The question would be how similar these systems are for the 2008 and 2009 FEH's. I've seen claims that partway through the 2009 model production, Ford switched from a nav unit that was compatible with the 2008 but not with the 2010, to a nav unit that was compatible with the 2010 but not the 2008. So it's possible that an earlier 2009 unit will work with your 2008. Whether it will do everything you want is something I wouldn't even guess. You can tell these two versions apart because the older version has up/down buttons on both lower corners, while the later version has an up/down button only on the driver's side, with a full column of regular buttons on the right side.

Ford made a large variety of very similar such units. Finding an original equipment one that will work in your 2008 isn't difficult. For instance, there is an eBay seller that can provide one for about $1400. Since your FEH has not had a nav system, you'll also need a kit of additional parts, at more cost.

This came up on another forum:
http://escape-city.com/viewtopic.php...gation#p382488

I have been looking into this for my 2009, and so far I have been unable to pry out of Ford the part numbers for fully compatible nav units. Perhaps your local Ford dealer might be more cooperative.

The alternative is to get a Scanguage (highly inelegant and with no nav function) or a smartphone diagnostic app (which will require customization to display the hybrid info).

So far as I have been able to determine, no aftermarket nav system can display the hybrid information. Since the FEH is possibly the only hybrid that came without such a system standard, the market for such a feature is far to small to make it worthwhile for anyone to provide it.

I hope you continue to look for a solution, since others can help along the way and perhaps someone can find a viable and affordable solution.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:10 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the explanation - as a point of clarification: My FEH *does* have the nav system from that model year. It *does not* have bluetooth for my phone. That and a backup camera are the main features I wanted to get access on on a newer head unit.

I may just have to go the Scangauge + aftermarket head unit with the bells and whistles I want. If do that, will I lose the ability to control the system from my steering wheel? (I can currently change volume and input source from the steering wheel.)

Thanks!

Old 02-05-2016, 02:41 PM

I didn't know that the 2008 nav unit didn't support Bluetooth. Presumably that might be true of the early 2009's, but my FEH is an early 2009 (without nav) and supports Bluetooth. Complicated.

As for connecting the steering wheel buttons, anything can be done for enough money....
Actually, this should be a fairly standard setup for a very skilled dyi or a car stereo shop.

Even without the nav unit, the 4 steering wheel buttons on my 2009 include volume, input source, skip ahead/back, mute, initiate voice recognition, phone, menu and probably other things I never use.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xspirit
As for connecting the steering wheel buttons, anything can be done for enough money....
TRUTH! Now, where do I find this money you speak of?

Even without the nav unit, the 4 steering wheel buttons on my 2009 include volume, input source, skip ahead/back, mute, initiate voice recognition, phone, menu and probably other things I never use.
Yeah, there are more buttons than I mentioned on my wheel as well - everything except the phone and voice recognition stuff.

Trying to decide if this is worth the hassle or if I just keep driving it as-is and save up some of that mythical money to upgrade to a newer year that has this stuff from the factory already.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:00 PM

If you do some searching around on the Internet, you'll find this sort of question has come up before. I have yet to find any simple solution other than this company, who seem to have a handle on this stuff:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-2011-20...hUIvR1&vxp=mtr

The cheapest solution would be to get an aftermarket nav unit and try to forget about the integrated hybrid flow display. That's a very difficult choice.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 PM

A better solution IMO would be to find a good OBD2 reader for your smartphone for the hybrid info, then install a modern in dash head unit that can display whatever is on your phone (if you want to see it in the dash). Current aftermarket head units are far more integrated with smartphones than whatever was available in 6-8 years ago. They can also update navigation maps and reroute for current traffic conditions much more easily and inexpensively.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Cheapskate

I agree with D-mac's suggestion. While it will take some research to find what HUs support everything you will want, jumping through hoops to install > 5 year old tech by trying to stay with OEM is probably ill advised.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
A better solution IMO would be to find a good OBD2 reader for your smartphone for the hybrid info, then install a modern in dash head unit that can display whatever is on your phone (if you want to see it in the dash). Current aftermarket head units are far more integrated with smartphones than whatever was available in 6-8 years ago. They can also update navigation maps and reroute for current traffic conditions much more easily and inexpensively.
I agree with elborak D-mac's great suggestion sounds like the best approach.

So the setup would be:

- wifi ELM-27 adapter in OBDII port. (I've heard wifi OBDII adapters work better than Bluetooth.)

- smartphone with diagnostic app such as Torque

- custom pid's installed in the app for the hybrid parameters

- bluetooth connection to the head unit to copy the phone's display. (some smartphones can only host one wifi connection at a time and one is used for the wifi ELM-27.

- head unit with features such as navigation, phone support, copy phone display.

Where could the SYNC voice recognition be set up?

Old 02-10-2016, 02:38 PM
Cheapskate

Where could the SYNC voice recognition be set up?
If you get a HU that supports the iDatalink interface, you can pick up a Maestro and retain the use of SYNC.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on how much you would expect to keep using SYNC vs. just switching over to Android Auto (or the Apple equivalent).

Quick Reply: Can I Install Newer Factory Head Unit in 2008 FEH?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands