Can you safely tow with the Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Can you safely tow with the Escape?

I saw online that the Escape Hybrid 08 can tow 1,500 lbs and in another place I saw 3,500 lbs, then I saw on Ford that it wasn't recommended at all.

Is it not recommended because it would result in damage to the engine or because it wouldn't get hybrid gas miledge?

Thanks, Alicia

Old 01-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can you safely tow with the Escape?

The tow rating for the 2008 Escape Hybrid is 1000 lbs. The 3500 number you saw was the non-hybrid V6 Escape. Ford doesn't restrict towing other than the 1000 lb rating. The lower rating for the hybrid seems to be a result of the CVT transmission that has a limited load capacity.

Old 01-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast

Wow, that's not much. Thanks- Alicia

Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 PM
Enthusiast

Wait, does towing exclude interior weight? Like passengers? Obviously, I've never towed anything 1000 lbs adds up fast if you take all the passengers too.

Alicia

Old 01-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

Towing capacity is what you pull behind. It is in addition to the rated passenger and cargo load that is inside the vehicle. What this means is that for a Hybrid it is recommended that you tow, at max, a trailer that weighs 1000 lbs when loaded. Like all towing, it is recommended that it be loaded such that the weight is mostly on the trailer wheels. 90% of the weight should be supported by the trailer wheels and 10% by the trailer hitch.

Logically, a reduction in passenger and cargo load inside the vehicle should allow you to tow a heavier trailer if I'm correct that the transmission is the limiting factor. However, Ford isn't going to go into those details. I've got a Class II (3500 lb) hitch on my FEH and use it primarily for hauling 50 lbs of bicycles. However, I wouldn't worry about towing even 2000 lbs for short distances. Of course, that's easy for me to say. I'm not going to warrant your transmission.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There was a poster on this site that towed a 14 foot Shasta trailer trailer from Kansas City to Washington DC. This person went drove thru the wild hills of West Virginia and claimed to get 10-14mpg with the RPMs hanging between 4500-5000.

After reading this, another poster stated "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

One limitation with the Escape Hybrid is the reverse--there is no ICE component to it. There is no reverse in the CVT as it is powered by battery and generator.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Enthusiast

So- what you're saying is that the gas engine doesn't run in reverse?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by amariarandazzo
So- what you're saying is that the gas engine doesn't run in reverse?
The engine is running, but not providing any push via the transmission - it is all electric power in reverse.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There is no REVERSE gear in the transmission. All reverse is handled by the electric motors. If the engine is running it is generating electricity to power the motors it is not turning the wheels directly.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Feral Engineer

Originally Posted by KenG
The tow rating for the 2008 Escape Hybrid is 1000 lbs. The 3500 number you saw was the non-hybrid V6 Escape. Ford doesn't restrict towing other than the 1000 lb rating. The lower rating for the hybrid seems to be a result of the CVT transmission that has a limited load capacity.
I've been told that the CVT transmission is more durable than the trans used on the gas versions, based on how many transmission swaps it takes to get it through the accelerated vehicle durability testing.

Quick Reply: Can you safely tow with the Escape?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands