Changing Coolants?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Changing Coolants?

My FEH is approaching the 6 year interval for changing engine coolant and motor/electronics coolant.

My usual dysfunctional Ford dealership wants $160 to change the engine coolant, and says they don't recommend routinely changing the M/E coolant. Owner's manual says to change both.

Has anyone changed both systems and is it a DIY type of service? Would I need to flush the systems or just replace coolant? And what do you think about only changing the engine coolant?

Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 AM
Default Re: Changing Coolants?

I have done both the engine and the m/e coolant in both of mine. Pretty straight forward job. Hardest part is getting the plastic shrouds off underneath the car so you can access everything. There is also the bleed valve that needs to be opened to get air out of the m/e system.

I have the pdf file that gives the step-by-step procedure. PM your email address to me and I will email you the file. It really is an easy procedure. Maybe 1.5 hours the first time. Much easier the second time.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:07 AM

Thanks Ray. Probably the same plastic shrouds that I removed for the MECS pump replacement. PM sent.

Also found this thread: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-06-feh-22830/

Last edited by econoline; 01-19-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

Other than the owner's manual, is there really a reason to change it? It's a sealed system and if the coolant is looking good, why change it? Odds are, you'll have a different reason to change that fluid at some point anyway right? Replacing hoses, Maybe a MECS pump replacement or a thermostat?

One piece of advice that was recommended to me by a mechanic friend years ago has saved me a lot of grief over the years. You may already do this... Always use distilled water in your cooling system (unless you're going with 100% antifreeze that is)! Manuals will recommend this, but few people actually do it.

You know that crusty stuff that forms in your radiator and the discoloration and sediment that shows up in your coolant over a period of years? You'll never see that gunk and/or sediment in a system that has been filled with pure distilled water for the 50/50 mix.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by corski67
Other than the owner's manual, is there really a reason to change it? It's a sealed system and if the coolant is looking good, why change it? Odds are, you'll have a different reason to change that fluid at some point anyway right? Replacing hoses, Maybe a MECS pump replacement or a thermostat?
My main reason for changing at the specified six year interval is to maintain the hybrid warranty in effect. If I ever had to rely on that warranty in the future, I'd like to have evidence of coolant change at the interval in the service manual.

I've already replaced the MECS pump but no coolant was lost so I didn't change it.

The pH of the coolant changes over time as it degrades, and there are test strips like these for checking but they reportedly won't work with the Motorcraft Gold coolant.
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Good call Don... I lost all hope in any warrantee ideas a while ago. My 05 is too old and has too many miles on it at this point.

Old 07-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr
I have done both the engine and the m/e coolant in both of mine. Pretty straight forward job. Hardest part is getting the plastic shrouds off underneath the car so you can access everything. There is also the bleed valve that needs to be opened to get air out of the m/e system.

I have the pdf file that gives the step-by-step procedure. PM your email address to me and I will email you the file. It really is an easy procedure. Maybe 1.5 hours the first time. Much easier the second time.

I signed up on this forum and I think I might need to change this coolant. Could you please send me that pdf file?

Old 07-20-2013, 12:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nitramjr

I could use this PDF file also. THANKS!! PM sent.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Enthusiast

also looking to do the procedure please send the pdf as to where the bleed valve is
thanks

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM

Has anyone tried these coolant test strips? Supposedly measure the pH and tell you if the coolant needs to be replaced: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Quick Reply: Changing Coolants?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands