Clicking / Popping sound when starting and stopping

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default Clicking / Popping sound when starting and stopping

Hi Folks,

2008 FEH; hearing a clicking or popping sound from the front drivetrain when starting from a stop (2 clicks, one from each side it seems), then again when stopping (just about stopped).

I suspect it is somewhere in the drive-train, and is something clicking one-way when starting, then clicking back again when stopping. My drive-train thought is because I verified that it does not do it if I come to a stop in neutral (no re-gen braking and therefore not using the transmission to slow the car).

Any thoughts or similar experiences? I have had it to the dealer once already, and they failed to fix it. I'll be taking it back, but would like to have some more insight first.

Thanks,

Darren

Old 07-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Clicking / Popping sound when starting and stopping

Hey Deemac,
What you are describing sounds a lot like a front ball joint problem. It's pretty common but since it doesn't affect drivability, it isn't likely to be fixed under warranty. Search around on the internet, it looks like replacing the ball joints with an aftermarket Moog part takes care of the problem.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

I just purchased a 2008 FEH earlier this month, and mine started making this noise as you've described a couple of days ago.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Enthusiast

I know I'm terribly late to this party, but was this ever resolved/answered? We have the same problem with our 2009 Highlander Hybrid. One additional detail is that ours doesn't do it on a very light (gentle) stop. Anything from a moderate stop to a hard stop will cause it. We've complained to the dealer, who first said they didn't hear it. After taking them for a ride to demonstrate it, they finally said "it's not serious and doesn't affect safety, so just don't worry about it."

We know our vehicles - it did not make this noise before. Now it clicks/pops at nearly every stop.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I had something similar on my 06 MMH. I thought it was loose calipers or something. Sounded like more of a clank....would happen every time you changed direction from forward to reverse. Never solved it despite my mechanic pulling all 4 wheels and trying his best.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hey Tim,

How did your hybrid experience end (as I now see "previous owner")? Last I recall you still had the MM and were happy with it. What's the story?