Clicking Sound When Braking/Accelerating

Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Clicking Sound When Braking/Accelerating

The following just started happening in the last week w/ my 2008 FEH....

Every time I accelerate, just after I start the vehicle in motion, I hear a very faint 'click' from the rear passenger side. Every time I am approaching a stop, once I hit a speed of about 4-5 MPH, I hear the same click from the same place.

It's a circuit type sound - not obvious at all...no louder than the slight sound you hear when the headlamps click on/off. Any thoughts as to what this might be?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Clicking Sound When Braking/Accelerating

Someone over at escape-city just updaated a bunch of TSB's, one of them is this:

Link to the TSB Forum: http://www.escape-city.com/viewforum.php?f=24

TSB 09-2-4

02/09/09

REAR BRAKE NOISE

FORD:
2005-2008 Escape Hybrid

MERCURY:
2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid

ISSUE
Some 2005-2008 Escape and Mariner Hybrid vehicles may exhibit a cyclical rear brake noise during low speed driving, going around corners and/or when driving in wet conditions. The noise results from a lack of parking brake use causing corrosion buildup inside the drum-in-hat parking brake surface and parking brake shoes becoming off-center. The parking brake should be set each time the vehicle is parked to prevent this concern.

ACTION
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
While in a parking lot, not exceeding 20 MPH (32 Km/h), lightly apply the parking brake bringing the vehicle to a stop. Shift the vehicle to park. Then, with foot off brake, release the parking brake, reapply and release. Per vehicle's owner guide, advise the customer to set and release the park brake each time the vehicle is parked to prevent this concern.

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
TIME
090204A
2005-2008 Escape Hybrid, 2006-2008 Mariner Hybrid: Follow The Service Procedure To Correct The Rear Brake Noise Condition
0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO.
CONDITION CODE
2C026

Old 12-24-2009, 04:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for the post - that's not my issue though. Mine is just one faint 'click' each time I speed up or stop. It's not specific to beaking because I hear the noise shortly after I beging to accelerate too.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Did you swap out for the plastic chrome wheels? I saw a TSB on those that they make a noise, but the std hybrid wheels do not.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by Sascol
Thanks for the post - that's not my issue though. Mine is just one faint 'click' each time I speed up or stop. It's not specific to beaking because I hear the noise shortly after I beging to accelerate too.
Reread the above TSB. Parking brakes are different and seperate from your normal brakes.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

My '09 has started to "click" on acceleration from the left front wheel. Just a faint, single click upon acceleration. Only 7700 miles so far...

Old 12-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have this issue for quite a while too and I make sure to heat up the rear parking brake regularly per the TSB. It seems like the problem is a suspension bushing or possibly the shocks. I did have the dealer tighten up the rear shocks once, but the problem didn't disappear.
I think if you disassembled the suspension all around and replaced the bushings the problem would go away, but that's a lot of effort for a small issue.