Clunk upon accel and decel, metal in cvt fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Clunk upon accel and decel, metal in cvt fluid

I have a clunk that seems to be coming from either the cvt itself or the ptu, I am pretty sure it is not the cv shafts as they seem pretty solid. There is a lot of play going into the transmission on the driver's side and going into the ptu on the passenger side. I am unable to drain the fluid on the ptu without removing the exhaust system, so all I know about that is that it is full and the fluid looks clean at least on the top.

I drained and refilled the fluid for the e-cvt with the correct fluid. It seemed to have a small amount of metal that looked like brass inside of it, but not a huge amount like something was severely wrong.

The main question I am asking is for anyone that has done the heavily debated fluid change is did you find any metal of any kind in your catch pan?