Coolent pump & A/C going bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Unhappy Coolent pump & A/C going bad

One of my electric water pumps ( the little guys that look like small, black canisters ) that either runs hot water to the cabin, or cools the Motors and Electronics, I fear is going bad.

I'm not sure which one, But I think it is the M/E coolent pump.
It is making all kinds of screetching grinding growling noises that you can't hear when the ICE is on, but you sure notice it when in EV. Even with the windows up you can hear it.

I'm just shy of 40,000 miles.

Also, my A/C clutch grinds for about 1 second the first time you turn on the A/C after an engine start. I've had mine in the shop twice for Air Conditioner issues. Summer of 2006 the A/C lost all the freon. Ford replaced some 0-rings in the lines, recharged the system, and had me back on my way in half a day. ( For free, under 36k - that was nice ).

Summer of 2007, my A/C lost all freon again. This time Ford said the leak was in the condenser, and could not be repaired and had to be replaced.
I was at 36,700 miles and they WOULD NOT do it under the 36k warranty.

I had purchased ESP so I have $100 deductible PER VISIT.
Parts plus labor would have been about $450. I paid $100.
Gave them the car on a Saturday.
They said they would not have the parts until Tuesday, and I could bring it back then. They said I could drive ( in 90-95'F ) without A/C until the parts came in. I said no way! This car needs A/C to cool the HV battery, and me too! The guy behind the counter was clueless about the battery cooling. So I asked for a loaner car and got a 2007 Fusion with the I4 engine. Do you know the Fusion ( non hybrid ) got mid-30's for MPG over the highway! I think I was pushing 37 MPG for about 100 miles of 55-60.

I would take the car in now, but with ESP, it actually sounds better for me to wait for something to actually break down. You can have any number of things fixed at once, it just costs $100 per visit for me. So I'm going to wait for either the coolant pump or the A/C to 100% fail, then take the car in and have them fix both for $100.

By then, there may be a 3rd problem. Oh yeah... there already is...
My brake-shift interlock no longer "interlocks".
I can move the car out of park without my foot on the brake.
John

Old 08-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Coolent pump & A/C going bad

Hmmm.....

It may very well be designed by Toyota, but clearly, it was built by F O R D.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Coolent pump & A/C going bad

Originally Posted by wwest
Hmmm.....

It may very well be designed by Toyota, but clearly, it was built by F O R D.