Cooling System Flush (System Tablets?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast
Default Cooling System Flush (System Tablets?)

Bought an 06 MMH a few months ago. I put 4,000 miles on it and it now has 48,000 miles.
I bought the extended warranty through the dealership for $2000 up to 100K miles.
The fine print states that I need to change the coolant at 5 years or 100k initially, then annually thereafter. So I got some prices from the dealership. ~$120 for the engine coolant, and the same for the electronic coolant system.

I called an independent shop who will do both for $150, (engine coolant fluid exchange/flush and a cooling system drain and fill)

Here is my problem, he said he called Ford (dealership ?) and they require cooling system tabs. he thought they were stop-leak tabs. I am not a fan of these. I called the dealership and they didn't know, but informed me the tech would put them in if it was required.

Do I need these "Tabs" when they flush my system? In order to maintain my warranty contract, I have to follow their schedule. So annual coolant system exchange every year from here on out. I am not sure putting cooling tabs every year is a good idea.

I don't think I need annual cooling system flushes, but I think I need to do that to maintain the warranty contract.

Thoughts?

Last edited by cmobile; 11-28-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cooling System Flush (System Tablets?)

Did not find coolant flush frequency in manual. What is wrong?

Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Default Re: Cooling System Flush (System Tablets?)

Originally Posted by Sphinx88
Did not find coolant flush frequency in manual. What is wrong?
I'll answer both your questions today here.

The coolant in both the engine and electronics coolant should be changed first at 100,000 miles, and every 50,000 there after.

The eCVT and fluid is designed to never require a change in the fluid. Ford is also designing other types of transmission that also never need fluid changes. Never change the type of fluid from the FEH stock fluid that comes in the vehicle.

The maintenance chart I read from are the Ford Escape Hybrid Workshop manual for the '05 and '09 FEH. Do not use the newer designed ATF for the '09 FEH because it cannot be used in the older FEH. Changing the type or brand of ATF fluid can void your eCVT warranty.

GaryG

Old 03-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Talking Re: Cooling System Flush (System Tablets?)

Originally Posted by GaryG
I'll answer both your questions today here.

The coolant in both the engine and electronics coolant should be changed first at 100,000 miles, and every 50,000 there after.

The eCVT and fluid is designed to never require a change in the fluid. Ford is also designing other types of transmission that also never need fluid changes. Never change the type of fluid from the FEH stock fluid that comes in the vehicle.

The maintenance chart I read from are the Ford Escape Hybrid Workshop manual for the '05 and '09 FEH. Do not use the newer designed ATF for the '09 FEH because it cannot be used in the older FEH. Changing the type or brand of ATF fluid can void your eCVT warranty.

GaryG
This is really helpful for answering my questions. Thank you Gary.