GreenHybrid Interactive Hybrid Car Resource
Home Discuss Articles Compare Share Shop
GreenHybrid.com   Hybrid Car Forums   Tech Information   Mileage & Specs   Photo Gallery   Buying Guide  
GreenHybrid Mileage Database - Click here to track your MPG! Join Hybrid car discussions today - Create a FREE GreenHybrid Account

Go Back   GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars > Hybrid Cars > Ford Motor Company > Ford Escape Hybrid
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 08 Ford Hybrid
Default Cracked Tone Ring

Hi, I have 45,000 miles on my 2008 FEH. A couple days ago, the ABS light comes on. The dealer had to replace the LF tone ring. Fortunately, I had the extended warranty so I was only out the $50 deductable. Is this a common problem?
Old 04-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: '07 AWD FEH
Default Re: Cracked Tone Ring

What would the work have cost without the extended warranty?
Old 04-13-2010, 05:19 PM

Hybrids: 2005 Escape AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdandjad View Post
Hi, I have 45,000 miles on my 2008 FEH. A couple days ago, the ABS light comes on. The dealer had to replace the LF tone ring. Fortunately, I had the extended warranty so I was only out the $50 deductable. Is this a common problem?
This might be a stupid question but did the light "come on" steady and hold or did it flicker on and off?

2005 4WD Escape Hybrid

Best Interstate tank trip E20 MPG 34.6 for 271 miles along I-80 in Indiana and Ohio. May 2008

Best multiple road tank trip E20 MPG 36.2 for 202 miles in Southwestern Pa. July 2008.

Best multiple road tank trip E50 38.1 MG for 246 miles in Northern Wisconsin Aug 2012
Old 04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Enthusiast

The ABS light would come on after driving for about 5 minutes, it did not flicker, it stayed on till I turned the ignition off.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoline View Post
What would the work have cost without the extended warranty?
I didn't get an exact number, the mechanic said it would be about $200, but he said my cost would be $50 due to the extended warranty. The only part replaced was the tone ring, he showed me the cracked part.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Hybrids: 2014 C-Max Energi

Quote:
OK, I'll ask. What the heck is a "tone ring"?
Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedebi View Post
OK, I'll ask. What the heck is a "tone ring"?
It is a small disc, maybe 4" in diameter. It has teeth (like a gear) . It mounts on the axle and there is a sensor that is mounted near the teeth, which "sees" how fast each wheel is turning by counting the teeth. The ABS system gets this data from each wheel and in a braking situation it decides which how much braking each wheel will get.(This is probably a very oversimplified explaination- any experts out there are free to discredit this)
Old 04-14-2010, 03:31 PM

Hybrids: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid 2wd

This is not from a FEH but it's similar to how one looks:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hybrids: 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid; 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Yes, yes, yes....this *is* a common problem, and not just on an FEH. I had a 2002 gasoline Escape, & it drove my mechanic nuts (mee, too), until he found the cracked ring. It's a while positionn-sensor that feeds data to the ABS, & under the right conditions of stopping and turning, the ABS would suddenly activate and cause the brakes to suddenly apply. The ring is cast iron, & when the shaft it's installed on rusts just a bit and expands, the ring can crack...the crack is difficult to see at times, too, making good quick diagnosis difficult. Now, my mechanic checks these rings a lot, and has found them in makes other than Ford. Seems the same supplier makes them for multiple brands.

Gary
Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

Hybrids: 05 FEH

Quote:
I didn't get an exact number, the mechanic said it would be about $200, but he said my cost would be $50 due to the extended warranty. The only part replaced was the tone ring, he showed me the cracked part.
fordparts.com lists for a 2005

ABS rings front $37.31/ rear $45.
Sensors $70.94 to $79.78

Must be some work to replace.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 PM

Tags
2005, abs, cost, cracked, escape, ford, gmc, mariner, photos, replace, ring, rings, ringtone, tone, tribute