Decisions, Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Enthusiast
Question Decisions, Decisions

I've been seriously researching hybrids. Why? Well, just like everyone else or at least most everyone else, I need a great economical vehicle for my commute of 120 miles a day round trip. I just moved in my new home two weeks ago and am already feeling the effects of my Expedition on my pockets. I am in a rut as to what hybrid to get. I really like the Civic, but also like the Escape. I don't know if I want to get the maximum gas mileage and suffer from the major downsize from SUV to compact or just increase my gas mileage by double and settle for the Escape and still have the room to pack things in. I am not a pack-rat and my Expedition's rear is not packed, but it sure would be nice if I needed to go to Lowes or Home Depot with the Escape and be able to pack stuff in the back and not have to worry about whethe it will fit or not. I am also considering on buying a trailer to pull behind my gas guzzler Jeep Wrangler for the Lowe's trips and if I wanted to haul stuff at any given time. PLEASE HELP!!!! I am going crazy on the decision. Thanks in advance to anyone that has input

Old 08-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Happy Hybrid Owner
Lightbulb Re: Decisions, Decisions

OK, I understand that there may be many reasons why this is not an option, but why not trade in the Expedition AND the Wrangler for an Escape AWD and something smaller, like a prius or civic? You could use the smaller car for the commute, and the Escape for hauling stuff, going off-road, and whenever you need 4WD.

We just got a FEH ('05, AWD), we love it, and are thinking of trading our '02 Escape V6 for a smaller, more fuel-efficient hybrid. THe idea is that I (40 mile RT commute) will take the little car most days, spring-summer-fall, and leave hubby (work-at-home, short local trips, carrying large items like standing basses) with the FEH. THen, in winter when the roads are bad (I go over unplowed hills), I will take the FEH and he will either (1) be OK with front wheel drive, or (2) stay home. We have never been without 2 all- or four-wheel drive vehicles, since moving to Ithaca, NY, but are considering whether we really NEED two at this point. We have taken the FEH offroad (check out my thread in this forum entitled "fourwheeling in the FEH" or similar), and it can go ALMOST anywhere a jeep can. It hauls as much or more, and I have been getting about 33 mpg driving like a hypermiler (see other threads here for more details on that). Even hubby gets 30-31, driving like a "normal person".

So, maybe you can have your 4WD, hauling capacity, SUV, and your super-fuel-efficiency too! Just a thought.

Look around here and you should find out everything you ever wanted to know about all the hybrids - and MANY MANY things you never thought of asking!

Old 08-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Decisions, Decisions

Hi ElizabethCitySailor:

___Sweetbeet sure hit the nail on the head!

___You probably will not be commuting with 350 + #’s of stuff in the trunk and your hybrid will be your commute vehicle 95 + % or more of the time. I would only be guessing if I told you where gas prices are headed in the near future but it’s money in the bank with an HCH on a 120 miler/day vs. even the Escape HEV in raw $’s each and every month. About $90.00/month at almost $3.00 per in fact considering 30 mpg vs. 47 mpg … Give the Expi away for the HCH and save the Wrangler for that real short Home Depot/Lowe’s type trip when you really need the space would be the least costly solution imho. Expect to get hammered on the Expi’s trade in/resale however

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 08-28-2005, 11:47 AM
Enthusiast

Actually I went to two dealerships yesterday (Honda & Ford). They are going to give me $6k for my Expi which is $500 over the KBB value.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:37 AM
hyperactive enthusiast

Hi Kevin-
I went from 20years of driving trucks-F250 pickup then 91 explorer to an 05 HCH. (we had a horse & boat) it was mentally a hurdle to get over; the ideal of getting a little car- but now that I have it- I LOVE it. I'm currently getting mid 50s mpg (my first tank was 40- so there IS a learning curve) which is a huge change over the 16mpg I used to get in the explorer. and if you already have a jeep in reserve ( as my husband does) then definitely get the HCH for your commmute. I don't know where you're located- but here in NY I get a tax deduction as well as the fed deduction AND I'm saving $1000 on gas the first year alone. no brainer for me. And I find the civic really fun to drive after the explorer- no it's not a performance sports car, but it's a heck of alot more nimble than my old ride. and the 'game' (mpg challenge) has really got me obsessed.
if you've got a 2 hour commute on the highway - you'll likely get mid 40- to low 50 depending on conditions/temp/and speed. lots of hints around here on how to get better. also lots of info on all the hybrids. check 'em out & test drive the cars!
good luck!

PS- my husband just paid $45 for his weeks worth of gas in his jeep- that would have cost $14 for the HCH. he wants a hybrid now!

Old 08-30-2005, 05:25 PM
Happy Owner

Originally Posted by ElizabethCitySailor
I am not a pack-rat and my Expedition's rear is not packed, but it sure would be nice if I needed to go to Lowes or Home Depot with the Escape and be able to pack stuff in the back and not have to worry about whethe it will fit or not.
Two weeks ago I went to one of those stores and bought 4 10' lengths of pvc pipe. For the first time since buying our FEH in late February I actually cursed my vehicle - the interior was about 2" short. Tried folding the back seat and flipping front pax seat with no luck. Even tried tucking pipe into foot-well of pax area to get extra distance, but was unable to get 10' lengths totally within the FEH. Almost went back in to the store to cut the pipes then and there into the shorter pieces I needed, but we keep spare line in the back section so I was able to tie things down safely. So I put the pipes on the dash and out the rear window (at least the window lifts separately from the full tail gate).

Hubby questioned why I didn't use the roof rack to tie down the pipe. I reminded him we removed them to improve mpg and I hadn't planned on stopping for the pipe on that trip, otherwise I'd have carried them as backup.

Old 08-30-2005, 05:32 PM

C&J,

I don't know the FEH anatomy off the top of my head .. but what prevented the pipes from sticking 2' further out the back window ?

That is how I used to use my Civic. Nothing was too long

Old 08-30-2005, 06:21 PM

Actually I went to two dealerships yesterday (Honda & Ford). They are going to give me $6k for my Expi which is $500 over the KBB value.
Did you talk numbers on the purchase price of the Hybrid vehicle? I hope I don't sound patronizing but dealers will try to make you think they are giving you a great deal with the trade while you are paying MSRP on the new one. Now that they have given you a value on your trade, you have a great place to start negotiating.

I have had great luck with my Escapes - better FE than I even hoped for. With gas rapidly approaching $3 a gallon, the purchases look smarter all the time. I would move quickly before gas gets any higher and the value of the Expi goes down.

I think now that there is a pretty good cross-section of Hybrids available, you can pick the vehicle that best suits your needs. You really can't go wrong with either of the two you are looking at.

Old 08-30-2005, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast

I've been seriously researching hybrids. Why? Well, just like everyone else or at least most everyone else, I need a great economical vehicle for my commute of 120 miles a day round trip. I just moved in my new home two weeks ago and am already feeling the effects of my Expedition on my pockets. I am in a rut as to what hybrid to get. I really like the Civic, but also like the Escape. I don't know if I want to get the maximum gas mileage and suffer from the major downsize from SUV to compact or just increase my gas mileage by double and settle for the Escape and still have the room to pack things in. I am not a pack-rat and my Expedition's rear is not packed, but it sure would be nice if I needed to go to Lowes or Home Depot with the Escape and be able to pack stuff in the back and not have to worry about whethe it will fit or not. I am also considering on buying a trailer to pull behind my gas guzzler Jeep Wrangler for the Lowe's trips and if I wanted to haul stuff at any given time. PLEASE HELP!!!! I am going crazy on the decision. Thanks in advance to anyone that has input
Kevin,

The Ford Escape Hybrid(FEH) I purchased with all the bells and whistles cost me approximately $10,000 less than a simarly equipped Toyota Hylander Hybrid. Judging from what is reported on the Toyota Hylander forum, my Escape gets about 10 mpg greater than the Highlander. I have 4,000 miles on my FEH and it performs very well both in the mountains and in the flatland here in Colorado.

Richard

Old 08-31-2005, 05:58 AM
Ohio BIODZL Driver

I'm assuming you are a "sailboat" kind of person? If so, you are familiar with diesels right? Have you considered a VW Jetta TDI Wagon? Before you make a decision you should at least talk with an knowledgable TDI owner and look at this vehicle. They are capable of impressive fuel economy and in particular great highway mileage. The high torque is excellent when out on the road, they are modifiable if you desire more power and last a long, long time. Resale value is strong as well, so don't discount them.

Quick Reply: Decisions, Decisions

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands