Different MECS Question- multiple failures

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast
Default Different MECS Question- multiple failures

This is a different MECS question. My original pump lasted 180-190k or so. After reading this forum, I didn't even try dealer and replaced with a Dorman pump. It lasted 8 months. Replaced with the new Ford replacement, lasted 4 months. Replaced with another Dorman pump, 2 months.

When removed, the pump(s) spin at a relatively really slow speed when run at 12v.

Finally went to dealer to try getting a new one under recall- was sent packing with only a diagnosis of need for new thermostat, and a new pump. No transmission issues that are part of that circuit, no relay failure, and no fuse failure, no hose kinking.

After new thermostat, still have had a failure, so before I put in another pump, thought I would check with forum. Since it is the pumps that have been failing (or the electric feed to them), I am reluctant to pay the dealer to do it).

At 210k, I am have limits on what I am willing to do, but am open to any suggestions.

(I have considered direct wiring the pump to bypass everything and run from a separate switch, and even weirder, using some different pump (like my freshwater boat cooling pump and wiring it directly to a separate switch. Unfortunately, that won't do anything if the cause is only a faulty software error message that is causing the issues.)

Unfortunately, it stays hot and warm in Florida- and I had no issues until moving here.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:28 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Different MECS Question- multiple failures

Did you know Ford OEM parts are now covered by a 2 year/unlimited mile warranty (including labor cost@a dealer). Ford could figure this out for you and be responsible if they get it wrong.
As a WAG, did you check all of the fusible links?