Does size of tires effect MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast
Default Does size of tires effect MPG?

I believe the 2008-2009 Ford Escape Hybrids come with 17 inch wheels right, but what if I were to put 18 inch rims on?

Could that actually add MPG since an extra inch of tire would cover more ground? Has anyone added a bigger tire and what were the results?

super

Old 09-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does size of tires effect MPG?

Your thoughts are in the right arena, however the sidewall height of an 18" tire is usually lower, making the overall circumference about the same as a 16" or 17" tire wheel combination.

In order to accomplish what you desire, you can replace your 16" tires with bigger 16"tires - with an inch or two of additional circumference - ie. taller sidewall.

Most (perhaps all?) FEH's come with 235/70-16" tires. 235 represents the millimeters across the width of the tire. 70 means that the heigth of the tire (rim to tread) is 70% of the tire width, and the 16" represents the rim diameter.

You could increase the circumference of the tire by installing 235/75-16 tires. There are limits on the size tire you can put on your vehicle however. If you go too big, you may rub the inner fender or other suspension/steering components.

Since the Ford engineers leave a little extra room (assuming some customers will install slightly larger snow tires), I would guess another 3/4 inch in diameter (2 1/2" in circumference) would be close to the upper safe size limit. That would represent a 3% "overdrive".

I doubt your fuel economy would improve by 3% since there are other factors involved, but you might pick up 2%. (Rembering that 100 miles on the odometer actually represents about 103 miles and 60 miles per hour is actually 62 miles per hour.)

Last edited by Red; 09-13-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by superserial
I believe the 2008-2009 Ford Escape Hybrids come with 17 inch wheels right, but what if I were to put 18 inch rims on?

Could that actually add MPG since an extra inch of tire would cover more ground? Has anyone added a bigger tire and what were the results?

super
First of all, the FEH come with 16" rims only and not sure, but I think it's the same for the MMH. The Michelin Latitude Tour tires are special made for Ford and the Escape and are light weight Low Roll Resistant (LRR). Most likely any change of tire size or brand will decrease your mileage, handling, increase stopping distance and be louder than the stock Michelins. In addition, the stock rims are special light weight rims with only one option from Ford, and that is the rim for the Limited FEH. The only way I know to increase mileage on the FEHL is to put the standard FEH rim and new Michelin tires on them. I'm so impressed with the Michelins on my '09 FEHL that I have replaced two stock LRR Eco-Plus tires on the front of my '05 FEH with them. This has improved everything and as soon as the rear Eco-Plus tires with 50,000 miles wear out or make to much noise, I'm adding the new Michelins for sure. These new Michelins were not available through Tire Kingdom or Goodyear, so I got them from Ford which retail for $179 each, but I get them wholesale for $159. Both my FEH's have the stock rims and tires for the spare. The Ford 17" Gas Escape Rim and tire will not fit where the donut spare is located.

After reading about information on tires and rims for the FEH, the lighter FEH rim with the lighter weight Michelins are the best possible combination for mileage. You can find the weights and more information in a tread I started a few months ago:
http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/tires-and-rims.html

GaryG

Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This is a copy of John Morton's signature:
he actually changed the size of his tires for his 2006 FEH. He claims very positive results (compared to stock ECO-Plus tires) in all areas but mileage.

Name:  06-Escape-FEH1.jpg
Views: 3691
Size:  68.0 KB

18"x 8" OZ Canyon wheels/Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (255/55R-18) tires.

This is a link to his site and photos:
http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/inbox&page=all

Old 09-14-2008, 11:41 AM

Tire diameter for stock =16+(2*235*.7/25.4)=29.0"
John Morton's tires =18+(2*255*.55/25.4)=29.0"

If your #rotations/mile is off by too much, you'll get a MIL.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DesertDog
Tire diameter for stock =16+(2*235*.7/25.4)=29.0"
John Morton's tires =18+(2*255*.55/25.4)=29.0"

If your #rotations/mile is off by too much, you'll get a MIL.
what is MIL? and who is John Morton, is he a member here or something?

oh yea, and I found some rims I like that are also 18X8 , how much do you think that will effect MPG?
A lot, or just a little?

thanks
super

Last edited by superserial; 09-14-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: adding
Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk
he actually changed the size of his tires for his 2006 FEH. He claims very positive results (compared to stock ECO-Plus tires) in all areas but mileage.

what do you mean very positive results besides milage? what other positive results are there?

thanks
super

Last edited by superserial; 09-14-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Billyk

oh yea, did he state how many MPG he was getting on those 18 inch wheels?

Old 09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Red

Oh, I didn't realize you were looking at 18X8 wheels. Since 18X8 =144 and the sq.root of 144 is 12, you should expect a 12% increase in fuel economy.

I hope this helps, since I obviously wasted my time on my earlier post.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red
Oh, I didn't realize you were looking at 18X8 wheels. Since 18X8 =144 and the sq.root of 144 is 12, you should expect a 12% increase in fuel economy.

I hope this helps, since I obviously wasted my time on my earlier post.
well I wanted to get his opinion since he is saying something completely OPPOSITE of you which is 18X8 wheels had a negative effect on that guys MPG.

EXCUUUUSE MEEEEEE for wanting to get another opinion

super

Quick Reply: Does size of tires effect MPG?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands