Econ Button

Old 04-29-2009, 03:17 PM
Enthusiast
Default Econ Button

So I have to take my 09 FEH into the shop tomorrow because the ECON button is not working (it lights, but the AC won't shut off to shut off the gas engine as it is supposed to do).

Has anyone ever had that? I just wonder how long the repair may last. I would guess it's a computer malfunction

Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Default Re: Econ Button

Originally Posted by aGDevil2k
So I have to take my 09 FEH into the shop tomorrow because the ECON button is not working (it lights, but the AC won't shut off to shut off the gas engine as it is supposed to do).

Has anyone ever had that? I just wonder how long the repair may last. I would guess it's a computer malfunction
The ECON system in the '09 was changed to work only when the interior temperature reaches the temperature the A/C is set at. In other words Ford changed the system in the '09 and possibly late '08 FEH/MMH to only allow engine shut-down once it meets the setting you set the temperature to. In most cases if you set the temperature at 72F degrees, you may never get EV mode if it's 82F degree outside. I don't like it myself and took my '09 FEH in and even took a ride with the Hybrid Tech in another '09 FEHL in 90F degree weather. It did the same thing as your and my '09 did and would not go EV till I turned the temperature up to ~80Fdegrees. Finally we got EV but it was only for a minute till a restart. The Tech checked and found Ford made this change to the ECON mode around March of '08 so I treat my '09 as not having an ECON mode at all.

Let us know what your Tech says now.

GaryG

Old 04-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

To add to that, ( which is good info ) you may not get EV if your battery pack's internal temperature is over a certain point.

That point is 95 degrees for 2005 thru 2008 models.
It's easy for the inside of the pack to exceed this while parked in the sun.

HTH,
-John

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

They just called and said "it's acting normally" so it must be the same thing. That really irritates me...the user's manual says nothing about it. Why would they have changed a KEY feature of good fuel economy???

Old 04-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

When I went to pick it up, we talked more about it. She said that if Ford ever releases a TSB to revert the computer back to the way it used to be (pre-March 08) she would let me know.

That's a complete failure for Ford. It's like they tried to make the car so "smart" that they took away functionality. Basically, the ECON button is now pointless. The manual doesn't even tell you that it doesnt work like the 08s did (I had an 08 before). If you wanted to wait for ECON mode before, you just didn't press it! Now you have to manually turn off the A/C every time you get below 40 or stop.

Unreal.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Gary is onto something, but is not entirely correct.

The econ button will allow the gas engine to shut down even if the cabin temp is higher than the temp setting you have dialed in. However, there is a threshold over-ride that restarts the gas engine if the cabin becomes too much higher than the temperature you set.

This actually works to your advantage if you keep the cabin temperature set at a reasonable level.

In our 2008, I can remember it getting so hot inside during the Florida summer months, that I would have to shut the econ off at a redlight or in a traffic jam. I can specifically remember HOPING the light would change so I could stop sweating and get some cooler air.

With the 2009, If you are sitting in EV for too long, it seems like right as you get that "man this is uncomfortable" feeling, it seems to kick the engine on and gets you some cool air.

In my opinion (my opinion, mine), it's a pretty good blend of comfort and functionality. Now that we are waaaay beyond the "let's see how many mpg we can get" stage, on really hot days, we don't even turn the econ button on. In the city we still average 36mpg and the temperature feature can do it's job without having to play catch-up all the time...

08feh

Old 05-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Gary is onto something, but is not entirely correct.

The econ button will allow the gas engine to shut down even if the cabin temp is higher than the temp setting you have dialed in. However, there is a threshold over-ride that restarts the gas engine if the cabin becomes too much higher than the temperature you set.

This actually works to your advantage if you keep the cabin temperature set at a reasonable level.

In our 2008, I can remember it getting so hot inside during the Florida summer months, that I would have to shut the econ off at a redlight or in a traffic jam. I can specifically remember HOPING the light would change so I could stop sweating and get some cooler air.

With the 2009, If you are sitting in EV for too long, it seems like right as you get that "man this is uncomfortable" feeling, it seems to kick the engine on and gets you some cool air.

In my opinion (my opinion, mine), it's a pretty good blend of comfort and functionality. Now that we are waaaay beyond the "let's see how many mpg we can get" stage, on really hot days, we don't even turn the econ button on. In the city we still average 36mpg and the temperature feature can do it's job without having to play catch-up all the time...

08feh
Sean, you like the system change and I don't. When I run the A/C I don't want to be mixing warm heater air to keep a higher temperature setting. When my compressor is on and dragging down MPG, I don't want heated air from the heater core preventing cooling from the compressor. This is a waste in FE.

I run my home A/C at 73F degrees year round because 78F or 82F degrees is a total waste for sleeping or anything else IMO. I can stand 78-82F degrees in my FEH, but my compressor and my heater better not be running at the same time. Ford most likely made the change for people like yourself who are happy getting 36mpg, but I know I can have a cool cabin getting over 50mpg driving smart. The new system change is a waste of energy and so is those Limited Rims Ford went to.

GaryG

Old 05-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

I agree that the change is not for me. If I wanted the A/C constantly on before, I could just turn off Econ. Now, there is no option.

So before, there were ways to keep Sean and me happy. Now, it just keeps Sean happy, and Gary and I are left out in the cold (no pun intended).

I am not a hyper-miler. I get about 34-35 in the spring and summer months and I am fine with that. But I dont care to turn up the A/C to 83 degrees just so I can have my hybrid function like it should. In the 08, I would keep econ off for the first couple of miles in the summer, til the cabin was comfortable. Then I would turn it on because red lights were no longer hot. Now, I am just screwed either way.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GaryG
The ECON system in the '09 was changed to work only when the interior temperature reaches the temperature the A/C is set at. In other words Ford changed the system in the '09 and possibly late '08 FEH/MMH to only allow engine shut-down once it meets the setting you set the temperature to.
Gary,

This was where you were incorrect. I was not implying that your dislike of the new system was "incorrect".
You have every right to not like it.

Sean

Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Active Enthusiast
Cool Re: Econ Button

Originally Posted by 08FEH
In my opinion (my opinion, mine), it's a pretty good blend of comfort and functionality. ...08feh
I'm with you. I (my opinion) like it.

But living in CA. I don't use the AC much. "255 a/c" my grandfather always said. 2 windows at 55 mph. I stick with the 239.5 a/c

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Econ Button

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands