Enhancing (hacking) performance of the FEH EV battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:42 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Enhancing (hacking) performance of the FEH EV battery?

To both of you guys who recently posted:

Are you running air conditioning or defogger / defroster much? Those two things keep the gas engine going.

Is you car engine (after 10 min of warm up) shutting off at every stoplight?

How fast do you drive and is most of your driving at highway speeds?

Originally Posted by Stuntworks
New guy here, not only to the site but to hybrids. Same issue as Tod, just in case anyone is still looking at this thread. I'm in Los Angeles with a 2006 Escape....and it it telling me I'm at 21 mpg. Calc'ing it out with the trip meter bears this out. Yet on my newly purchased Scanguage 2 it's telling me my mpg is 29-33.

Working on things one at a time, replaced rear battery air filter, new oil, but advice would be great. Trying to do as many tricks to extend it out but maybe getting it on the fwy just means it's what it is. Hard to get most places out here without the fwy. Honestly I'd be happy to just get the epa for hwy out of it.

Thanks
Matt

Old 10-31-2016, 02:48 AM
Enthusiast

John,
Thanks for the reply. Still trying to sort this out. So....

Mine seems to be finicky about when the EV works. A friend has the same year. Once hers warms up parked the engine shuts down, mine does not. However, mine seems to work once I get it out on the road....for the most part.

Once I get below 30-35 it goes into EV, does it at lights, will work for the requisite 1/2 mile to mile in EV and often I can kick it back into EV by dropping to Low or tapping brakes. However....some days it just decides it ain't going. Today was rainy and cool, so it's not a battery overheat. Just didn't feel like working in EV.

As for running AC/Heat, once I read about that I've been diligent about running neither, even the white colored version. After reading here and a few other places I went out and got a scanguage 2, they're on sale at O'Reilly. Still learning to use it, trying to get the most out of it for the hybrid.

So I've been good about feathering accelerator, maximizing down hills, light touch less speed up hill, constantly monitoring my MPG on the SC2. That's part of my confusion. On it I'm always getting a 28-33 MPG average, but the MPG in the car has only gotten to 22.7 and using the trip meter and a little math seems to jibe with this.

So...I'm pretty far from what the car is advertised at, but still like it so far. Another question....is it normal for the SC2 screen to shut off when the car goes into EV mode?

Thanks again.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:26 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

On the Scan Gauge you need to set up several parameters. Engine size is one.

Fuel type is another.
For Fuel you need to put HYBRID not GAS.

John,
Thanks for the reply. Still trying to sort this out. So....

Mine seems to be finicky about when the EV works. A friend has the same year. Once hers warms up parked the engine shuts down, mine does not. However, mine seems to work once I get it out on the road....for the most part.

Once I get below 30-35 it goes into EV, does it at lights, will work for the requisite 1/2 mile to mile in EV and often I can kick it back into EV by dropping to Low or tapping brakes. However....some days it just decides it ain't going. Today was rainy and cool, so it's not a battery overheat. Just didn't feel like working in EV.

As for running AC/Heat, once I read about that I've been diligent about running neither, even the white colored version. After reading here and a few other places I went out and got a scanguage 2, they're on sale at O'Reilly. Still learning to use it, trying to get the most out of it for the hybrid.

So I've been good about feathering accelerator, maximizing down hills, light touch less speed up hill, constantly monitoring my MPG on the SC2. That's part of my confusion. On it I'm always getting a 28-33 MPG average, but the MPG in the car has only gotten to 22.7 and using the trip meter and a little math seems to jibe with this.

So...I'm pretty far from what the car is advertised at, but still like it so far. Another question....is it normal for the SC2 screen to shut off when the car goes into EV mode?

Thanks again.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:46 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, a lot of questions I'm not asking are because of all the info already put out here.

Had all the parameters correct except....hybrid. Been fixed, but will that change my MPG on it much? And I'll still have the reality of the vehicle itself.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:16 PM
Cheapskate

is it normal for the SC2 screen to shut off when the car goes into EV mode?
In several years using an SG2 on 06 and 09 FEHs, I've never seen that happen.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Enthusiast

El...

I think it was shutting off because I had set the fuel parameter to gas instead of hybrid....didn't know.

Gpsman1 set me straight, I set it correctly, hasn't shut off since then. I'm assuming that when it went into EV mode the computer thought it was shut down since it was set for gas.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Zombie thread re-awakening!

Just in case people have read this far and not seen an answer to the "Why is my FEH only getting 24 mpg" question.

My 2008 was doing that when I got it. The avg mpg had been running for a long time without reset by the PO, and it was at 25 mpg.

Since then, I have done several things with positive results:

1 - Inflated tires to 45 psi (these are not LRR tires)
2 - Installed a new thermostat. Scangage told me it was running cold.
3 - Replaced the rear air blend motor

So now I'm getting 30-31 mpg pretty easily.

I also cut two 2" holes int the airbox under the air filter. This help acceleration and did not hurt fuel economy