Escape Hybrid 2009 4X4 - MILES PER GALLON?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Enthusiast
Default Escape Hybrid 2009 4X4 - MILES PER GALLON?

Hi, how many miles per gallon can I REALLY expect from a 2009 Escape Hybrid 4X4 in the city?

1) Let's say for big city driving no freeway

2) And then two how much mpg on the freeway.

Thanks

Super

Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Escape Hybrid 2009 4X4 - MILES PER GALLON?

Originally Posted by superserial
Hi, how many miles per gallon can I REALLY expect from a 2009 Escape Hybrid 4X4 in the city?

Thanks

Super
I can tell you for an '06.... should be comparible. I've got 70,000 miles on mine.

In the summer,

In the city stop and go.... about 30MPG. This is on stock tires @35psi. No jackrabbit starts, gentle braking and coasting. But really no hypermiling techniques. Now, I didn't get 30 in the beginning, its crept up there over time.

In the suburbs with not so many stops I often see as much at 34-35MPG. The FEH LIKES going 45MPH... I'd go so much as to say it LOVES it.

On the freeway at right around 70MPH .... I average about 30-31MPG in the summer. I used to get about 28-29 but it seems like the older the vehicle got, the better the mileage. Frequently I see as good as 34MPG IF I slow down to 65MPH. That last 5MPH is a big hit on MPG.

If its RAINING.... expect a 2-3MPG hit from what I've seen on stock tires.

You will have a break in period for the first year and say 10,000 miles.... over that time you won't do as well... mine has crept up with time even past that point. Not sure if thats the vehicle or me driving better.

The winter will hit your mileage... mine drops by about 4-5MPG if I don't do any radiator blocking. Everyone seems to think the hybrids do really bad in the winter.... anyone measured MPG on a V6 in the winter? It drops too!

I just changed my tires to Nokian WRSUV's.... after 65,000 miles. These are an all season tire with enhanced ice/snow performance. I love them... No hit in mileage... in fact... When it was pouring rain last week I didn't see the 2-3MPG hit either. I found that interesting and I'm waiting to verify.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here in Detroit, our '08 gets 30-32 on a regular basis. If we drive it only very short trips (1/2 mile and back) we'll dip down as low as 27.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast

My 08 MMH gets about 27 on average here in Northern CA (and I try to drive carefully). I agree with the 45mph sweet spot - I've seen mileage as high as 33.7 when driving on rolling backcountry roads around that speed. I got over 31 on a tank going up to, then coming back from, Sequoia National Park last month.

Our 07 FEH (also 4wd) seemed to do a bit better on mileage.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:00 PM

Thanks

Super
A LOT depends on driving style. I have a 2008 AWD and get 31 City and about 32 highway @65 miles per hour. I drive carefully, but not hypermiling. If you drive it like a "normal" driver expect to get about EPA, 29 city, or perhaps lower if you have a leadfoot. But it will always be better than a comparable I4 or I6 gas-only Escape, though the difference will be less in winter - depends on how cold it gets in your area.

I live in Los Angeles, so the temperatures are pretty good for hybrids. Low or high temps will reduce MPG.

Another factor for city MPG is the distance you drive. My commute is only about 8 miles. If your commute is longer your MPG will be better.

Expect to get only mid to high 20's in the winter.

Last edited by stevedebi; 09-11-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks

Super
Forget about earlier 4X4 FEH/MMH vehicles, the '09's are a completely different vehicle with a much more powerful and efficient gas engine and much more powerful and efficient EV mode. The AWD will not do near as good as a '09 FWD FEH/MMH, but I would estimate the the '09 AWD will do as good as the '08 FWD on FE in both City and Highway. I own a '05 and the '09 FWD and when comparing them both, I now feel my '05 is grossly under powered and the RPM's are very hard to control compared to my '09. In EV mode, the '09 much stronger above 20mph to 40mph and I suspect after break-in it will be able to climb hills at least 35mph in EV for the FWD and at 30mph in the AWD.

Look at the mileage data base here and compare the averages with the '09 AWD with earlier model FWD FEH/MMH. The '09's do not need any tricks to go EV, they have Decelleration Fuel Shut Off (DFSO), and much more efficient Lambda Oxygen Sensors for air/fuel ethanol gas mixtures.

GaryG

Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

I have about 2000 mi on my 2009 AWD now in Southern Minnesota. 43psi on the stock Michelin tires. Getting 30-31 at 65mph freeway, 34mph at 55mph on 100 mi route w/ local winding hilly roads which include passing thru small towns and 32-34mpg in town (about 4mpg more than my wife though the '09 needs little effort and experience to tease the mpg higher vs the hiper mileage techniques talked about with the older models). Very impressed with the vehicle so far.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Forget about earlier 4X4 FEH/MMH vehicles, the '09's are a completely different vehicle with a much more powerful and efficient gas engine and much more powerful and efficient EV mode. The AWD will not do near as good as a '09 FWD FEH/MMH, but I would estimate the the '09 AWD will do as good as the '08 FWD on FE in both City and Highway. I own a '05 and the '09 FWD and when comparing them both, I now feel my '05 is grossly under powered and the RPM's are very hard to control compared to my '09. In EV mode, the '09 much stronger above 20mph to 40mph and I suspect after break-in it will be able to climb hills at least 35mph in EV for the FWD and at 30mph in the AWD.

Look at the mileage data base here and compare the averages with the '09 AWD with earlier model FWD FEH/MMH. The '09's do not need any tricks to go EV, they have Decelleration Fuel Shut Off (DFSO), and much more efficient Lambda Oxygen Sensors for air/fuel ethanol gas mixtures.

GaryG
And what does the GreenHybrid database say about the previous year's FWD MPG? Wait for it ... 31.9 average, which is pretty close to what I said in my post.

I think that most drivers will achieve about what I said, 31 in town, 32 or so on the highway. That is assuming normal hybrid driving, not hypermiling, and no "jack rabbit" starts / stops.

It would be great if it is higher, but I'm trying to answer the original question for an "average" driver.

Last edited by stevedebi; 09-11-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by rilian
I have about 2000 mi on my 2009 AWD now in Southern Minnesota. 43psi on the stock Michelin tires. Getting 30-31 at 65mph freeway, 34mph at 55mph on 100 mi route w/ local winding hilly roads which include passing thru small towns and 32-34mpg in town (about 4mpg more than my wife though the '09 needs little effort and experience to tease the mpg higher vs the hiper mileage techniques talked about with the older models). Very impressed with the vehicle so far.
When my 2008 AWD was at 4K miles, I ran a 200 mile trip from LA to Solvang, CA. It was about 1/2 on the freeway at 68 MPH, and the remainder on secondary roads between 45 and 60 MPH.

On the pure freeway on the way up I achieved 34.8 MPG. On the secondary on the way up the mileage went down to about 32.5 (that is a BIG up hill after Santa Barbera). On the way back I had 34 or so until I hit the several-mile hill near oxnard. By the top of the hill it had gone down to 32.4! I ended the trip with a combined MPG of 32.7 (as I recall).

I should think that the 2009 advantages are greater in town, where the better electricity use shows up. On the highway I'd think they were much closer. And as you noted, driving style is very important.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
And what does the GreenHybrid database say about the previous year's FWD MPG? Wait for it ... 31.9 average, which is pretty close to what I said in my post.

I think that most drivers will achieve about what I said, 31 in town, 32 or so on the highway. That is assuming normal hybrid driving, not hypermiling, and no "jack rabbit" starts / stops.

It would be great if it is higher, but I'm trying to answer the original question for an "average" driver.
Hi Steve

I stayed away from quoting my mileage as an example for the average FEH driver, that's why I turned to the GH database for examples. Their are highs and lows for both drivers in the database in the FWD and AWD, but the real mileage depends on each persons driving habits and conditions.

It appears many owners of prior year FEH/MMH are having a hard time accepting there are significant changes in the '09 FEH/MMH, and I personally think it's because of the EPA rating of 34/31 MPG. My '05 FWD FEH was rated by the EPA at 36/31 MPG because Ford wanted to reduce the real rating the EPA wanted to give the '05 FWD FEH of over 40MPG City. Many hybrids were hammered by Consumer Report for their EPA ratings, but the Ford Escape Hybrid got real closer mileage percentage wise after those reports and articles written. Still, the EPA changed their rating process because of all those complaints to what we see today.

Comparing the '08 FWD FEH to the '09 FWD FEH during break-in is something I have experience personally Steve. I have an '05 FWD FEH with over 50,000 miles from new to compare to my '09 FWD FEHL from new and I'm breaking every record I've ever made in my '05 in a vehicle that is not yet broke-in. To add to this personal record, I'm driving much faster because of the stronger more efficient engine at low RPM's and stronger EV mode.

Steve, you can't compare the '09 AWD FEH with anything at this point. All I can do is estimate based on what I'm seeing in my '09 FWD FEH and my '05 FEH and the '08 FWD MMH I tested. As far as highway mileage, the '09 FEH requires less RPM's because of its power.

GaryG

Quick Reply: Escape Hybrid 2009 4X4 - MILES PER GALLON?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands